Friday, February 2, 2007

Groundhog Day

It's Groundhog Day! Probably the first thing that comes to mind is not the weather, but the movie. Groundhog Day, staring Bill Murray and Andie MacDowell, is one of my favorite movies. I probably saw the movie the first time simply because it was a movie about Western Pennsylvania, but soon fell in love.

Bill Murray happens to be a fantastic comedic actor in my book. And, believe it or not, he happens to appear in many movies that have some very redeeming qualities. I say redeeming quite intentionally. His character, Phil Conners, is redeemed in this movie, saved from the dismal corrosion of his present situation, much like his character in the 1988 movie "Scrooged." The movies have a Frank Capra feel and remind me of movies such as "It's a Wonderful Life."

If you haven't watched it - maybe it would be a good movie to watch this weekend. Temperatures are supposed to hit lows that we have not seen in years. It is a movie about a person who in so many words, hates his current situation and will do everything to make everyone around him feel it. So, stuck in Punxsutawney, he is relegated to living the same day over and over and over again - basically until he gets it right. Initially, he just doesn't care, and tries to manipulate everything. But then he realizes that maybe it is far better to live a life worthy of repentance.

The movie makes me ask, "what would you do if you had to live the same day over and over again?"

But then again, I realize that we don't have to live our lives over and over again, because of God's love for us. He has given us a great gift, Jesus Christ, so that we don't have to live that life of dismal corrosion. Each day is a new day in Christ, and each day is a gift. Which leads me to a more important question . . .

What are you doing with the gift of this day?


That's right, woodchuck-chuckers - it's GROUNDHOG DAY!

3 comments:

Brett Probert said...

Greg, I have never seen the movie (nor most any movie!) but it sounds good. How true that each day, life is a gift. I guess you kinda realize that more at times like what you're family has been through with your dad. I'm going to take some time to walk in the snow today...and to remember that Jesus' grace makes my heart as white as snow... Thanks for reminding me of the gift.

Prettybird said...

Good post!

We, too, really like Bill Murray. It's just not Christmas if we haven't watched "Scrooged". Keith even used it as a sermon illustration one Advent.

Having lived in Punxsutawney for four years (well, just about 5 mi. north) I can say, however, that many times I felt I was living the same day over and over!!!!

Have you seen "Lost In Translation"? We enjoyed that, as well.

r

Greg Cox said...

Haven't seen lost in Translation - but I have heard that it was good. I am going to have to check it out.