Friday, February 16, 2007

Being Seen

This week has posed some interesting challenges for family life and ministry. Tuesday and Wednesday brought a winter storm that Western Pennsylvania hasn't seen in several years. School was cancelled and roads were impassable. I am not like most pastors who live sometimes within walking distance to their churches. I live 26 miles away. So the better part of reason caused me to remain at home both days.

Thursday is my day off. However, I went to the office to get some work done. While at the office, I wrote an email and I mentioned that in many ways it was to get some work done, but in other ways it was to be "seen." That single word sparked a back and forth email conversation, and someone even just asked if I would have the "gutts" to write about this.

Why did I do it? Why did I say it? Because in so many ways, I think our ministries are driven by people who live and work in a society that is driven by a time clock. We work in ministry in an annual conference that has a piece published by our Board of Ordained Ministry that says that the typical work week is 50 hours on average. Further, we work in churches that have unrealistic expectations. I think I base this on past experience and the experience of those I work with in ministry. I have actually read evaluations of pastors that said that they were not spending enough time in the office.

To the average bear, that is translated in so many different ways. But at its worst, 50 hours is 50 hours. How you spend those 50 hours is not of concern for them, they just want to know that you've done your job working 50 hours.

To be seen means being seen in the office. Work done outside, in Starbucks, in the home, on the road, at the conference center just doesn't count.

Some of it is guilt. Maybe there is the internal part that judges our performance based upon some of those worldly standards. I will admit to you that I find it hard to work in the home with children running all over the place. Further there are things that just can't get done unless you are there at the desk, in the church . . . being "seen."

I think I have a level head about this because I know that making disciples of Jesus Christ does not happen at a desk, in an office, and simply by being seen. I did get work done on Tuesday and Wednesday preparing for sermons, reading, preparing for Bible study, and checking up on future projects.

Plus the better part of my day was spent ministering to my children, building an igloo, having fun and being seen as part of their lives. For that I am thankful.

Yes, Thursday was my day off and I came into the office to get some work done and to be "seen." Unfortunately, no one saw me except my secretary.

Let me hear your thoughts.

10 comments:

Brett Probert said...

Well you did it! And with grace man. You raise some excellent points...Jesus said that we'll know a tree by it's fruit. How many times has an apple looked really good when it is "seen" but once tasted, in rotten. Just being seen is not the measure of true fruit...it is changed lives...ours, our families, the lives of people in our churches...and that often happens in the unseen ways.

Keith H. McIlwain said...

I share your struggle, here, brother. Unrealistic and unfruitful expectations are often place upon us by congregations, Conference, and ourselves. The truth is that each of us needs to find the best ways to be fruitful, while balancing that with realistic expectations. It's a tough road and, as you know, changes in each appointment, so, just when you have a handle on it...!

God bless you for your honest wrestling!

Chris said...

Greg, I have been thinking and praying about what you have blogged (as well as my post here)
I think, perhaps, the beginning of understanding would be communication with the church and pastor as to extectations...right? Trust, I suppose, is the issue there.
Good post by the way...I hope we continue the discussion.

Greg Cox said...

This post really is a continuation of the conversation from Chris' blog as well as an article that we read entitled, "Haphazardly Intent" by Eugene Peterson. It is interessting that all these challenges that we face today are really the challenges of being relavent to a new age of Christian Disciple. What may have worked in the past may not be what is needed today. It's about education, it's about communication, and it is also about preaching this new vision of what it means to be in ministry, not only to the church, but to the leadership of our churches.

Brett Probert said...

You're on the right track...communication and education of the church is important. But so is having the guts to model truly appropriate pastoral behavior. We can talk all we want about what is proper for the new day, but we must also do it. That means making sure that there are structures and leadership in place in our local congregations to help do the work of ministry. Like it or not, pastors in the new day and age are more called to lead than to do.

Chris Whitehead said...

What would happen if you committed to bringing the absolute best you could bring on weekends from the pulpit and in order for that to happen you had to go "silent" for a whole day? Would your congregation trust you enough to give you Thursday off and give you Wednesday to be the best preacher that can just flat out preach like no one else?

Do you have the opportunity to take at least one day a month as a day apart to just go and "be" with God so that the indwelling power of the Holy Spirit can be readily seen in you?

Kelli and I also wrestle with the fact that I believe that I am called to work six days and Sabbath on the seventh. She wants me to work five, take a family day, and then Sabbath on the seventh.

Trust, accountability, Sabbath, preparation for the weekend are all huge. For me it's not about balance, I will never live a balanced life. I want to live an obedient, disciplined life. Thank God we are all in process!

Greg Cox said...

A friend Jan had this to say through email about our post.

I think being seen for the sake of being seen is pointless. Though not a pastor, as a staff person in ministry I equate being seen with being available. There are often days when my email and computer work get done in the evenings at home because it didn't get done in the office. When someone comes by and asks if I "have a minute", I know that it won't be a minute. Jesus always had more than a minute. There is much to be said for the ministry of presence. Listening, praying, offering guidance and encouragement take time.
When I reflect on days when I just didn't get anything done, I realize maybe God did. I just happened to be there.

Greg Cox said...

Excellent points, Chris. Again, educating and leading a congregation in this direction is part of the struggle for that balance we seek.

Matt said...

This has been a great conversation...I've enjoyed thinking about it amidst by crazy ministry/seminary schedule!

Randy Roda said...

Greg:
Thanks alot for your honest piece on being seen. Solitude, study and family time must come to be seen as part of our work week. How can we possibly be effective in ministry without nurturing our own spirituality and that of our families. If there is not fire in the furnace, there will be no smoke from the chiney for people to see. Please keep your honesty and openness about this alive for everyone to see. Please check out my blog on the emotional needs of pastors at Http://rodazone.blogspot.com