Friday, February 9, 2007

Parenthood

I am 36 years old, I am the youngest in my family, I am a son, a brother, a husband, and a father. Because of all of those things in combination, there are times when I don't feel my age, but always feel like the little kid, the youngest, always looking up at others both emotionally, and chronologically. However, as I look at things more and more, the more that I feel like a real parent. Maybe there is a part of me that "doesn't want to grow up" and remain a kid, but then again . . .

I think of all of these things mostly because daily life causes us to pause and think. I argued with my kids today about going to the bus stop with gloves on, and found it amazing that I was now in that position. I offered my parent's advice in recent days unlike any other time in my life and found it amazing that I was in that position. I took my kids ice skating where I used to skate as a kid, and also found it amazing that I was now in that position.

I wouldn't change it for the world - but isn't it amazing how perspectives change as we age and as we move into different phases of our lives. My children are only as old as 8, so I certainly have a lot of perspective to gain!

I'm going to watch Parenthood soon. I haven't seen that movie in a long time, but it is one of my favorites.

This quote sums up the movie. It is the grandmother talking to Gil. I hear this every so often when I think about being a parent. "You know, when I was nineteen, Grandpa took me on a roller coaster. . . Up, down, up, down. Oh, what a ride! I always wanted to go again. You know, it was just so interesting to me that a ride could make me so frightened, so scared, so sick, so excited, and so thrilled all together! Some didn't like it. They went on the merry-go-round. That just goes around. Nothing. I like the roller coaster. You get more out of it. "

I am going to enjoy the weekend as a parent. I have to . . . that's what I am.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greg, I'll get the popcorn ready! Elephant shoes!
Tracy

Chris said...

I'm looking forward to those weekends...AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keith H. McIlwain said...

We saw that film when we were expecting Christian, who's now (God help us) 16. Great movie...and parenthood is a blessing, albeit a painful one!

Greg Cox said...

Just watched it again last night. What a great movie and a great reminder that I am blessed.

Prettybird said...

Great post! I also love that quote from Parenthood. It's truly overwhelming, isn't it? Sometimes I still feel like there really should be some grownups around! Where are the grownups??!! Oh. Right. That would be me.