Monday, August 4, 2008

Finding Rest


They say that sometimes you need a vacation after a vacation. The work that you do prior to vacation exhausts you and the vacation refreshes. However, the drive home and the plane rides, and the pile of mail that greets you upon your return only causes you to need another vacation.

Some have noted that the E-pistle has been on vacation. This has largely been due to prep work for vacation, the vacation, and the aforementioned the pile of mail that I went through upon our return.

However, I can honestly say that even today when I am preparing to go on a continuing education event, and I am trying to complete tasks that can only be done in the office, I am not in need of a vacation after my vacation. Don’t get me wrong, if someone offered an all expense paid vacation to Hawaii, I’d go! But I am truly rested.

I am blessed to have been able to take a vacation and get some much needed rest. I continue to say, even a week after returning, that I had a truly wonderful time doing nothing. I was truly blessed.

There was nothing more enjoyable to me than sitting on the shoreline, listening to the waves crashing. The constant sound of water moving in and out with the tides is soothing to me. I read books, I read magazines. I watched my children play in the sand, and run in an out with the waves. I listened to the girls gasp at the sight of sand crabs, and delight in the sight of dolphins moving along the shoreline. I grasped my littlest child’s hand as we ascended and descended the lighthouse steps, and I flew a homemade kite on historic grounds like Orville and Wilbur Wright. I ate far too much ice cream, and I ran with reckless abandon down a sand dune that will never be the same. I held hands with my beautiful wife as we walked along the beach.

Sometimes, all we need is a change of scenery, a change of perspective. In many ways, that simple change can be the rest that we need. I was able to get that on vacation. I saw things from a different angle, I listened with new ears, and I opened myself to the presence of God in my midst.

Do you get to do that? I’m not only talking about driving 500 miles away to the beach – but the perspective part. Do you get to do that? Do you get to find rest in the Lord? If you are saying right now that you haven’t or don’t, are you asking yourself why? And if you haven’t – are you planning a way of doing that. I believe we need to do that. Sabbath rest is important, not only weekly, but regularly. It recharges us, it refreshes us, and causes us to delight in the Lord.

The psalmist writes, “How precious is your steadfast love, O God! All people may take refuge in the shadow of your wings. They feast on the abundance of your house, and you give them drink from the river of your delights. For with you is the fountain of life; in your light we see light.” Psalm 36:7-9.

Today, I am thankful for God’s abundant grace, his love, and the refuge that he provides for me. I hope that you can find that same rest in his shadows, and feast abundantly in his house. If you haven’t recently – find time in the near future. God will bless you!

This week, we are continuing our Series entitled, “Run the Race” and I will be preaching on transitions in our lives. It is an exciting series, and I hope that you will not only make an effort to be in worship, but invite a friend. I look forward to seeing you this week.

Please pray for me, and know that I am praying for you.
Greg

1 comment:

Barb said...

Welcome home yampa, your presence here, with the rest that you received, refreshes me! Thanks