Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Olympic Passion


What are you watching these days? Beyond the news of tragedy that exists each day in our world, and the repetitive coverage of a Presidential race that began well over a year ago, chances are that you are one of the millions of people watching the Olympics.

I love watching the Olympics. I watched just a little of the opening ceremonies on Friday, but my real focus has been on the sports. As you know, I love sports anyway, but I am really enjoying the sports that you don’t get to watch regularly. I remember watching Wide World of Sports as a child and being fascinated with the different sports that exist. How can you not be gripped by the “agony of defeat?” (Cue the music).

The other day, I was captivated by Water Polo. I know that captivation may be stretching it, but I really was. I found myself cheering for the team as they were scoring, and running to the Internet to find some rules that I was not understanding. My wife heard me rooting for the team, and she wound up sitting with me as we rooted the Americans past the Chinese.

Not only do I enjoy the sporting events, but I also enjoy the human interest side of the sports, the stories bring life to those who are competing. We are brought into their lives through picture and through story that make the unknown competitor a real human being with hurts and desires just like the rest of us.

Did you hear about the mother in her thirties who is competing in gymnastics for Germany? She is competing in her record fifth Olympic games and was a part of the former Soviet Team in 1992. Following the dismantling of the former Unified team, she competed for her native Uzbekistan. She was married, had a son, but her journey was not over. It was her son’s diagnosis of Leukemia that landed her in Germany. She continued to compete because the prize money helped her pay for his treatment.

What about the swimmer from Korea who at the age of 14 was the youngest member of the team and to compete in his first Olympics. He qualified for only one event in Athens, and in the preliminary round fell off the starting block and was disqualified before he even began. Four years later, he stepped to a different podium after he won the 400m Freestyle.

In addition to the human interest stories, are the accounts of the athletic preparation and the mindset of the athlete. Steroids are a point of interest for the media, but they are also trying to focus on what athletes are doing to remain clean. The dedication, the mindset, the commitment, and the devotion to excellence and winning is staggering. The athletes that are competing at this level have one focus and one focus only – Winning.

It’s inspiring to watch someone give everything they have to one thing. Their entire focus and attention is about being a better athlete, doing everything that it takes. Watching someone like that makes me want to be better. I want to have that same passion.

But don’t worry! I’m not thinking about entering Olympic trials in the triathlon. What it makes me think about, however, is my own passion and devotion to Christ. Am I doing everything necessary to be a fully devoted follower of Christ? Am I putting everything that I have into making my life reflect that of Christ? Am I an example for others to follow? Am I measuring up? Am I falling short? Am I running the race?

I think all of us have to ask those questions of ourselves. And when we ask them, we can’t stop there. If we are falling short, falling off the podium before we even begin, we have to make changes in our lives. We have to be so committed that we are willing to do everything necessary to become what we are not; a fully devoted Christian.

We are thinking about that in this message series. What does it take to run the race with perseverance and endurance? What does it mean to cast off the weight of sin in our lives? Are you doing it?

This week we continue our series with “Run the Race: Traveling the Many Miles.” I invite you to come empty and ready to be filled by Christ. Devote yourself to him and I know that Christ will fill you. I look forward to seeing you this week in worship.

Please pray for me, and know that I am praying for you.
Greg