Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Happy Birthday

Today is my beautiful wife's birthday. If you have been around her lately, she would have told you. She tells people that her birthday is coming, not to be braggadocios - but to celebrate God's gift of life.

Tracy had heart surgery when she was a tot and without it, she probably would not have lived passed her teen years. Today, surgery that Tracy had may be more common, but in the late sixties and early seventies, it was risky.

Several years ago, I had an amazing experience. I was visiting a parishioner in the hospital in Oakland. While there, I was introduced to a doctor who was visiting the patient. He had become a friend of the patient. In his 40's now, he had had several surgeries. The doctor went on to explain that he had performed one of this patient's first surgeries as a child.

In context, I went on to say that my wife had also had surgery of a similar kind when she was a child. The doctor asked her name. He then said, "Oh - I think I did her surgery." I was rather taken aback - but he said, I'm almost certain that she was my patient.

So I gave him my card, and he actually went and checked his records. He emailed me, and indeed he was the doctor. We had a wonderful exchange that day, and it was amazing to be able to meet the person who helped make it possible for Tracy to be here today. But what amazed me most was his acute attention to detail and recall of my wife's medical condition and his lasting concern for her well-being.

Thanks, Dr. Pontius for using your God given talents.

Today, Tracy celebrates God's gift of life and today I thank God for my wife.

Happy Birthday!

4 comments:

Barb said...

I love her! Happy Birthday Trace!!!

Keith H. McIlwain said...

What a great story! Happy belated birthday, Tracy!

Brett Probert said...

I'm glad Pontius piloted her safely through!

Jan said...

I just read this post to myself and my mom and we both cried... what an incredible story!