Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Just a Little Reminder


Yesterday, the girls were home from school. It was an in-service day and also a day for parent teacher conferences. They have enjoyed being home and having a few days of rest and a few days to stay up late and sleep in too. Last night we even let them stay up later than usual so that they could watch a little of the Steelers game.

Mondays are usually a day for me to make lunches for the kids, but because they were home for the day, I had a reprieve. But what made the day even more special was that they actually made lunch for me! Tracy helped them put together the lunch so that it wasn’t just Kit-Kats and crackers. Just to be sure that I knew it was mine at the office; they even put my name on it!

It was a great lunch – a sandwich, a banana, and some yogurt. Perfect! But what made the lunch even more special were the notes that I found in it. It was a great day – three notes from my girls and a card from Tracy!

Each one was special because it reminded me that I am loved. They each put their special personal touch into the notes, saying something special. Bekah had a chart, Elisabeth shared a scribble, and Sarah even included a scripture verse from Philippians 4:19. “And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.” There was even a little P.S. – eat well.

I know that I am loved and I know that my life is even more rich because of it. I also know that I am loved by God, and because of that love I am able to be who I am and seek the transformation to which God calls me. But isn’t it good to be reminded of that every so often, to read it, and to have it be said?

There are so many people in the world who don’t know that, and I think that is unfortunate. People don’t get notes in their lunches, and people don’t even express it personally. That’s why I think we need the church and I think it is why we need to constantly hear that God loves us. We need to hear, express, and know that God is love.

Maybe you know this, but you are loved. If it’s not by someone very close to you, I do know that you are loved by God. And the scriptures are that reminder for us.

So, today I think I will just send you a note reminding you that you are loved. For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that who ever would believe in him would live for ever.

God loves you. Maybe you knew that. But if you don’t, I’m sending this to you for a little lunch reminder.

This week, we conclude our congregational study, Treasures of a Transformed Life and we will be celebrating Consecration Sunday in Worship. Rev. Fred Leasure from the United Methodist Foundation will be preaching. I look forward to seeing you this week. Remember, whatever you commit to in your prayers, presence, gifts and service, God will supply us with everything that we need through Christ. I think I found that note in my lunch this week and in scriptures too!

Please pray for me, and know that I am praying for you.
Greg

3 comments:

Barb said...

Wonderful to have you back, and affirmed. Your presence was missed, not only for reading a little humor, but your absence left a little void in my days. You are loved!

B~

Brett Probert said...

Excellent analogy. You're a great man Greg and a great friend. You are loved bro!

Unknown said...

How Cool brother! Treasure the moment of that lunch. God has blessed you with an amazing family and I am blessed to have you as a friend in Jesus.

God's Grace,
Jeff