Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Спасибо



Two years ago, I had the opportunity to travel to Moscow, Russia on a mission trip. It was the first time that I had ever been out of the county, as a communicating human. That is a strange way of saying that I had once been to Canada as a toddler. I wouldn’t know it other than the fact that I have seen a picture of me with the caption “Niagara Falls.”

Because it was the first time that I was able to travel out of the county, I was given a lot of advice about traveling and some things that I would need to know in order to make my trip more enjoyable. One piece of advice that I heard often was that you should learn the language at least well enough to communicate some basic words.

In preparation for that trip, I did just that. I purchased a phrase book and began to learn some basic words and phrases. In addition, I also learned the alphabet and pronunciations. Therefore, even though I could not always pronounce words accurately all the time, I was able to grasp the language at a basic level. As we traveled, I was able to pick up on words and phrases other than those I learned from the book. This was especially helpful when we were traveling on the subway – I was able to read the stops and be reasonably confident where we were based upon our maps.

Of the words that I was told I should learn, probably the most important was Spasiba. It is a basic expression of gratitude. I used it often in conversation and you could tell that there was some appreciation on those we encountered a willingness for our learning their language.

I often catch myself today, two years later, using the word around the house and in casual conversation. It kind of sticks with me as a way of expressing thanks. Spasiba is Russian for Thank You.

This week, I am sure that you are doing a lot of thinking of things for which you are giving thanks. But I guess my question is, “Are you actually saying it?” We do lot of preparing, thinking, sitting down, eating, watching football, preparing for shopping the next day – but do we do much giving thanks. Further, do we actually express it verbally?

And I guess that question goes as deep as you want it to go. Have you actually said, “Thank you” to God for those simple things and expressed them in a way that is more just a passing thought? Have you prayed about those expressions of thanksgiving and really said it?

Again, one of the best pieces of advice when I traveled oversees was to learn some basic expressions. I was told that it would make my journey more enjoyable. It would break barriers and express something deep within us. Even if you didn’t know other words – these words would get us past the barrier. So “thank you” was one of those expressions that made the journey more enjoyable. I probably said it more than anything else on that trip – even for the little things.

So I’m going to try to say thank you, spasiba, Dankschen, merci, gracias as often as I can this week. For the food, for you, for the little things, and for the big things, thank you. Thank you for being a part of our lives and Thank God for ways in which he is present in our lives.

The Psalmists talked a lot about thanksgiving. Psalm 100 says: "Shout for joy to the LORD, all the earth. Worship the LORD with gladness; come before him with joyful songs. Know that the LORD is God. It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, the sheep of his pasture.
Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name. For the LORD is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations."

Spasiba and Happy Thanksgiving

This week in worship we will be talking about the end of the world. Actually, we will be talking about Christ the King which is a celebration of Christ’s anticipated return in triumph. I pray that you have a great Thanksgiving Weekend and I look forward to seeing you in worship on Sunday. “It’s the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine.” REM.

Pray for me, and know that I am praying for you.
Greg