Monday, July 23, 2007

Accountability

Thursday morning, I went to the dentist for my semi-annual check-up. Ever since I was a little kid, I remember going to the dentist twice a year. There was a routine involved and little changed from visit to visit. The dentist was quite familiar, and the dental assistant was always a familiar face. While I have a new dentist now as an adult, there are things that just don’t change.

I sit in the chair and I’m greeted warmly. I’m asked if anything has changed since my last visit. We go over my current medications, I sign my name on a dotted line, and away we go!

Light is on, chair reclined, open mouth, general observations with a sharp instrument; let the pickin’ begin.

Well that’s not too bad. At this point in my life, I can almost guarantee which teeth will need more attention than others. I’ll spare you the details. All is well (most of the time).

Then comes the cleaning. I lament over the fact that as a kid, I was given the choice of some nifty flavors. I don’t get a choice of bubblegum, grape, or mint anymore, but I guess that’s OK. Regardless of the flavor, it’s all gritty toothpaste! The hygienist tells me to open and close; I am almost lulled to sleep by the whir of the instrument.

When that’s over, out comes the dental floss. By this point, I know what’s next and this is actually the part that I hate the most.

“How are you doing with your flossing?” she asks.

“Darn it! I hate this question!” I don’t actually verbalize that part, but I’m thinking it anyway.

“Well, . . . I’m always good about flossing right around the time that I get my teeth cleaned. Then I start to slack a little.” This is always the answer, and the response is always the same. “Try to pay attention to flossing a little more. It is important. Your brushing is good, just try to floss regularly.”

At 36, I’m relegated to being 8 years old twice a year!

But, if I am completely honest with you, I need that in my life. I need someone holding me accountable for my flossing. I know that it should just be part of the routine in the morning, but sometimes I get out of the habit for a while and it’s hard to get back into the swing of things. It’s always the hygienist who reminds me – “how are you doing with your flossing?”

All of us need to be held accountable in one way or another. Some people need it in order to lose weight. Some need it to adhere to a deadline. Some need it to simply make their bed in the morning.

For that matter, all of us need to be held accountable for our Christian walk. Oh, I know that there are some that say that they don’t need it, but you do. You need to be held accountable for your Christian walk.

In the early Methodist Church, there were groups that were called classes and bands. There were people who held the group accountable for their daily walk, they were called class leaders. In one way or another, they would ask the members of the group if they were spending quality time with the Lord.

I am in an accountability group. We meet regularly to just check-up on each other. But most importantly, we hold each other accountable for our Christian walk, and for our leadership responsibilities within the church. There is a routine involved. We don’t ask if each one is flossing regularly, but we do ask how each is doing. I need that in my life.

But it is not just pastors who need that accountability. We all need that in our life. Without that regular check-up, we fall out of routines, and it is easy to forget how important regular disciplined study, prayer, and worship is in our lives.

“How is it with your soul?” That’s another way of asking if you are flossing regularly or for that matter if you are spending time with God. Are you held accountable for your actions and your thoughts, for the things that build up in your life, and the things that weigh you down? Do you have anyone like that? For that matter, have you ever asked someone close to you that very question?

“Therefore, since the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us be careful that none of you be found to have fallen short of it.” Hebrews 4:1

How is it with your soul? And while we’re checking – How is your flossing?

Gracious and loving God, I thank you for this day and everything that you have given to me. I pray that you would bring wholeness and healing to my life, and that others would hold me accountable for the things that I do and say. Help me also, to reach out to others; to listen when I ask, “How is it with your soul.” Bring us into account with you, O God, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

This week, we are going to be sharing a message on prayer. I hope that you have a blessed week, and I look forward to seeing you in worship.

Please pray for me, and know that I am praying for you.

Greg

6 comments:

Unknown said...

My favorite dentist quote was after a visit and precious time with the "Ice pick of doom" .....
she said "Do you know when you flossed last?" and I said "yes I do... you did it."

I need to be held accountable too. :)
thanks for the message! :)

Randy Roda said...

Bill Cosby wrote, "Dentists tell you to never pick your teeth with any sharp things, and then you get into their chair and the first thing they reach for is an iron hook."

Accountability is a spiritual discipline and needs to be practiced by clergy and laity alike.

Thanks for reminding me, Greg.

Greg Cox said...

Cosby's schtick about going to the dentist is hilarious! So true about the hook. Somehow we can't stand people running their nails on a blackboard, but the hook on teeth somehow remains acceptable.

Brenda said...

I just got back from the dentist, and they told me I need to floss more. I guess that is their favorite thing to say. Thanks for reminding me just like I need held accountable for good dental routines I need to be held accountable to good quiet time routines with God.

Brett Probert said...

Good stuff...and thanks for being such a good accountability partner. I owe you a call...

Chris said...

Greg - I dislike dentists, but your message was true that. Good to be in group woth you my brother.