Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Is this the time?

I guess the thing to do at this time of year would be to make a new year's resolution. However, I'm just not feelin' it this year.

Don't get me wrong - it's not that I don't think there is a place for renewal, but I just don't think that this is the best time of the year for one. Just because the date changes from one year to the next with the drop of a crystal ball, there are probably better times of the year to make a change.

Liturgically, I could think of several times of the year. It wasn't just four weeks ago, that the church began it's new year.

Scholastically, while my kids have gone back to school, it's not the beginning of a new semester or for that matter the beginning of a new marking period.

Physically - I decided about 7 months ago to shed some pounds, so I guess that's out. So I guess I just don't feel the grove.

There is one area in which I hope to move toward change. The new year means a new cycle of Leadership in the church. This is the time that the church bureaucracy has decided that it is most appropriate to make the change - (more thought about that later). So with that new leadership, I am hoping to move from my Honeymoon period to a period of renewal. I believe that it is time now to move forward with some new ideas, new energy, and a new model for ministry as we continue to bring about God's Kingdom here on College Hill.

But then again, maybe this is not the time for renewal - we will have to see how God leads us.

3 comments:

Brett Probert said...

Move forward, bold leader. Be who God has made you. Live for who died in your place. Be the hands of the Holy Spirit this year.

BTW, I thought the church began a new year 5 weeks ago?

Chris said...

Blessings in your journey towards renewal. Stay strong and lead by example.

Keith H. McIlwain said...

Brother, are we ever on the same wavelength! With the honeymoon still ongoing, I'm preaching and teaching on visioncasting for the next seven weeks, and (hopefully!) using that as a basis for some serious visioning during Lent. God bless your work at College Hill!

Your father & your family remain in our prayers.