Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Does Character Matter?

Good question. To some people, it just doesn't. But to me, it does!

Character questions come up alot around public figures and it came up again yesterday. Cal Ripkin and Tony Gwynn were elected on the first attempt to the Major League Baseball Hall of Fame. Both received more than the 75% of votes necessary for election. On the other hand, Mark McGwire was not elected and only received a paltry 23.5%. Read an article about it here.

So, was the election about more than stats this year. Maybe with regard to Ripkin and Gwynn it wasn't, but McGwire it had to be. Then again, I think that those elected were in many ways elected based upon more than just what the statistics say - character had something to do with it.

Character matters, and I want it to matter! It matters in the pulpit, in the pew, in the stands, and on the field. It goes beyond reputation and what people see on the surface; it goes much deeper. Character is something that I want my children to see, and character is something that I want to pass along to them as well.

So, does character matter - sure does! (I guess unless you are among the 23.5% who voted for someone who may be known more now for what he did behind the scenes than on the field.)

5 comments:

Keith H. McIlwain said...

I could not agree more. Character is the issue...in the Christian faith, in politics, in every arena of life. Jesus came to save us in order that we might become holy, a truth which far too many Wesleyans forget far too often! CHARACTER DEFINITELY MATTERS!

Brett Probert said...

Amen.

Chris said...

Good thoughts Greg.

Anonymous said...

OK Greg, who decides which character is good?

Brett Probert said...

um, that would be me.