Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Calming the Storm

I know someone who likes the saying, “Into every life, a little rain must fall.” It was often said in response to something happening or something going wrong. I can’t find any references to who said it first, but I know that if I was eight years old, the person to whom I am referring probably would have taken credit.

I think that I heard that saying back in 1996. I was married for about 2 weeks, when Tracy and I encountered our first hurricane. We were living in a basement apartment when Hurricane Fran unleashed herself on us in Durham, North Carolina. We didn’t have a large pine tree shatter our living room like a neighbor, but we did have about 4 inches of water in our basement apartment the morning we stepped out of bed following the storm.

“Into every life,” is probably not what the people of the Gulf Coast wanted to hear over the past few days. They’ve had their share of rain over the past years. I heard one person note on the news that they would have been finished with their repairs from Katrina sometime this week, had it not been for this latest storm.

You’ve probably heard or read the story about Jesus calming the storm. The Bible retells several times that Jesus was out on a boat with his disciples when a storm arose. The disciples were terrified by it, and yet Jesus was sleeping. The storm was so great in one telling, that the boat was taking on water. When Jesus awakes, he calms the storm. He rebuked the wind and the raging waters and the storm subsided.

I’m sure that I am not the only one using this passage today in reference to the latest storm in the Gulf Coast. I’m also sure that I will not be the only one to offer reasons for the storm. I probably stand with some, and differ with others.

Hurricane Gustov battered the Gulf Coast this weekend. While the storm still raged, I believe that God was able to calm the storm even as it rained. I also believe that God still stands able to calm the storms that we experience. As I prayed in the midst of Hurricane Fran, it certainly didn’t go away, but I do believe that our fears were calmed and our lives were protected. I am also sure that the same is true today for those who experience the storm in the Gulf this past weekend.

Yes, into every life some rain will fall, but I believe that the God of the storm is present with us, and has the power to calm our fears and protect us in the midst of the rain.

Let’s continue to pray for those who have been living in the midst of the storms this season. This is not the last one for the season!

O God, you divided the waters of chaos at creation. In Christ you stilled storms, raised the dead, and vanquished demonic powers. Tame the earthquake, wind, and fire, and all the forces that defy control or shock us by their fury. Help us, in good times and in distress, to trust your mercy and yield to your power, this day and for ever. Amen (Andy Langford, UMBOW, p. 509).

Please pray for me, and know that I am praying for you.
Greg