Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Remembering to Remember

Do you remember where you were and what you were doing seven years ago this week? Chances are very good that you do.

I probably didn’t pay attention very well in psychology class, but there is a reason that we remember events and associate them with other things. Sometimes we can’t remember what we had for breakfast, but chances increase that you will remember if something significant happened. We remember dates and times, what we were doing, and what we were eating, when something significant happens.

Upon this reading, or even moving into this week, you may not have remembered that we were quickly approaching September 11th - how quickly we forget. But as you hear the stories on the news and have the images replayed throughout the week – you begin to remember.

I remember being in North Carolina. We were actually planning to return to Pennsylvania after being on vacation the morning of the 11th, but decided wisely to change our plans. We watched silently that day as the news continued to come in about the days events.

No doubt that you will be remembering a lot this week. We not only need to remember, but we should not forget. Those words to me are not a rallying cry, but a call for us to remember in prayer the lives lost and the ways that our lives have been changed forever due to the unfortunate events. We also need to remember to pray, for our nation is no better today, no safer, than it was just a little more than 7 years ago.

I’ve been reading Psalm 42 this morning as I have been remembering. I am hoping that you will take some time to read it. I’m not going to print it here – but ask that you go, read, and remember. Turn to God in the midst of that reading and remember to pray for our nation.

“Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my help and my God” Psalm 42: 11b.

This week we will be continuing our Discovery Church series with Bone Detectives. I hope that you will join us and even invite a friend to discover just a little about how God restores us to life. It is a good opportunity to reach out and remember that we are not the only ones who need restoration this week. I look forward to seeing you.

Please pray for me, and know that I am praying for you.
Greg

1 comment:

Barb said...

I am so done remembering already!!