Tuesday, September 23, 2008

If/Then

In our lives, we are often living in a constant state of If/then. When I was young, I remember hearing that as a way of understanding that sometimes we need to do something in order to get something. It is a natural state of being.

Computer programming often operates on that principle or construct. I remember using it in the very infancy stages of computer classes and in math class. You could call it a flow chart or even a way of understanding how things happen in progression.

Think about it for just a moment and think about how often you have operated by the If/then statements of life?

If you do your homework, then you may go outside. If you do your homework, then you may get good grades.

I remember hearing as a teenager: If you clear the driveway, I will buy the gas for your shoveling business. If you cut the grass, I will buy the gas for your lawn mowing jobs. If you wash the car once a week, you can drive the car. These are the blessings.

The If/then principle, as I call it, is not always positive. How many times have we “encouraged” our children to brush their teeth by saying, “If you DON’T brush your teeth, then your teeth will get cavities, have to get fillings and Novocain, and you won’t be a happy camper?” These are often the curses.

For some reason, however, I think we forget that we must often do things in order to reap the benefits. This is not always true, don’t get me wrong. But often times we seem to think that things just automatically happen. I say this – because I think that we have a misconception about being a Christian. We think that once we’ve acted upon this decision to be a follower of Christ, then its easy street for me.

This is not always the case. In fact, it is rarely the case. In order for us to reap the benefit of having a life transformed relationship, we must sow a little too. We must read, we must pray, we must follow, and we must diligently observe all that God has given us.

This week, as I was flipping through the scriptures, I came across the blessings and the curses of Deuteronomy. I won’t go through the curses this afternoon, but what I found to be quite powerful was the way in which we can receive a blessing.

You can’t say it any other way. If you follow the Lord, you will be blessed.

1 If you fully obey the LORD your God and carefully follow all his commands I give you today, the LORD your God will set you high above all the nations on earth. 2 All these blessings will come upon you and accompany you if you obey the LORD your God: 3 You will be blessed in the city and blessed in the country. 4 The fruit of your womb will be blessed, and the crops of your land and the young of your livestock—the calves of your herds and the lambs of your flocks. 5 Your basket and your kneading trough will be blessed. 6 You will be blessed when you come in and blessed when you go out. Deuteronomy 28:1-6.

Now before you get upset with me, I know that sometimes God chooses to bless us just for the sake of blessing. That is the true nature of grace. But sometimes, we need to give a little in order to get a little, we need to plant in order to reap, and we need to love in order to be loved.

I hope that you will do that. If you do, you will truly be blessed.

This week, we continue our series on Discovery Church with the sermon on Man vs. Wild. I look forward to seeing you this week.

Please pray for me, and know that I am praying for you.
Greg

4 comments:

Jackie said...

If you build it they will come.
If you open the doors they will come in.

How about "If you invite them and bring them, maybe they will form a relationship"?

Brett Probert said...

If I had hair, I would wear it like yours.

Greg Cox said...

Yes - but if you had hair, would you put product in it?

Theresa said...

You took me back to sixth grade. I rememeber sitting in class and thinking how much I hated if/then in computer class. Thanks for that. ;)