Tuesday, August 21, 2007

When the Rain Comes

It is hard to believe that just a few short weeks ago, our region was on a drought watch. Our water tables had dropped below acceptable levels, and we were being asked to voluntarily conserve water in some areas. How quickly things change.

Flooding throughout the country caused by extreme weather has been the story nationally. Globally, the story has been Hurricane Dean which hit landfall this morning in the Yucatan Peninsula with record winds and record lows for barometric pressures. And locally, the rains have come once again. Rising creeks and streams seem to be the attention seekers these days, but we know that culverts also overflow and basements flood in unusual places as well.

Some of us are lucky during these times. We can simply hunker down in our homes, hope that the lights do not go out, and ride out the storm with a good book. But many are not lucky. Simply the threat of rain has them looking out their doors wondering if the waters will rise. They enter the dark reaches of their life and completely shift boxes and hope that the water heater doesn’t get flooded. They pack up their things, and hope that they have a shelter to which they can return.

I think about those people in these times. Hurricane victims in regions of the globe who have no hope; residents of communities that have no choice but to remain in their homes, no one would buy their house from them; older individuals who find it hard to live paycheck to paycheck let alone try to pay for a new furnace. I think about them.

But I also think about those whose lives are damaged by the difficulties they encounter each day. These stories often don’t make the headlines: People facing cancer treatments, people who are depressed, families enduring abuse, and those whose lives seem directionless.

Those people often feel as if they have somehow been separated from God. But I am reminded that the promise we have is that there is nothing that can separate us from God and his love. Paul reminds us in the letter to the Romans, that there is nothing that can separate us from that great love. Neither life nor death, height nor depth, principalities or powers, angels or demons, and I might add that neither rains nor floods can remove that love. God is with us. We are not alone.

One of my favorite Christian Artists is the group, Third Day. They have a song that talks about this rain and reminds me that even when the rain comes, God is still there.

When the rain comes it seems that everyone has gone away.
When the night falls you wonder if you shouldn’t find someplace.
To run and hide, escape the pain
But hidings such a lonely thing to do.

I can’t stop the rain from falling down on you again.
I can’t stop the rain but I will hold you till it goes away.

When the rain comes you blame it on the things that you have done.
When the storm fades you know that rain must fall on everyone
Rest awhile, It’ll be alright
No one loves you like I do.

I can’t stop the rain from falling down on you again.
I can’t stop the rain but I will hold you till it goes away.

When the rain comes I will hold you.

Let’s pray for those experiencing the rain this week. May God continue to hold them in the palm of his hands.

Almighty God, we come praying for those who watch the rising waters and falling rain. We feel hopeless, but we know that there are those without any hope. We pray that you would restore that hope and remind them that you are present. Hold them, dear Lord, until the rain goes, and the sun reappears. We pray these things in Jesus name. Amen.

This week, we will be hearing a message entitled, “It’s for you” from the prophet Jeremiah. I hope that you have a great week. One more week until school starts in many places, and college students are returning this week. Remember to pray for them too.

Pray for me, and know that I am praying for you.

Greg

3 comments:

Randy Roda said...

Well said...

Charlotte said...

I'm blessed to not live in a flood prone area. But you went on to mention the "flooding" in peoples lives that seperate us from God. I'm there. But I know the storm will pass, but I fear I will somehow lose sight of God. On vacation next week, I plan on searching whole heartedly until I find him. Those lyrics hit home, and hard, but thank you for them.

Barb said...

I am listening to XM radio and hear the song to which you reference in this post. I am feeling the "rain" more lately, and thank you specifically for reminding me that during this storm, He will hold me.