Tuesday, August 28, 2007

A Gift


Have you ever seen some of those shows that “discover” how much something is worth? People find things in obscure locations and find out that it is worth tremendous amounts of money. Often times these items are in near perfect condition, hardly used, and probably seldom enjoyed.

I have often thought about some of the things that have been discovered and think back to the items that I once had: Star Wars toys and figurines, Steel Tonka trucks, and large sized G.I. Joes. All of these toys that I once had could have been on a list of things discovered. Only one problem – I played with them.

I have a doll (I choose to call it a toy) in my drawer. His name is Harry Baby. I don’t think that’s his original name, but it is my name for him. He is a cloth doll with hard rubber arms, head and legs. He has electrical tape holding his head on. His fingers and toes have been chewed off, and he has had several appendectomies. He is my toy, but he was enjoyed by my siblings as well.

If he was not about to fall apart at the slightest breath, I would probably let my children play with him. I am told that it was/is a Madame Alexander Doll. Some might know what that really means, but to me he was just a bald and naked baby doll that I carried around by its neck. I guess if we hadn’t played with him, he could be one of those discovered treasures.

This year, our children received very expensive dolls for Christmas. They are American Dolls. Some children get the dolls and they dress them up and put them on a shelf, only to be admired, looked at, and never touched. When we were looking at the dolls and asking questions of the representative, we were discouraged at one point from even buying a particular doll. “Your daughter is too young for Falicity,” we were told.

When my kids got them, I guess they could have done the same as some children and place them into mothballs, but they didn’t. My parents who actually gave the girls the dolls told them, “these dolls are for play, not show.” Good thing too – I don’t think putting it on a shelf would have worked in our family.

Gifts are an amazing thing. Yet often times we choose to put them on a shelf, or in a cupboard so that they won’t be broken or destroyed. Sure, you may be able to “discover” them later in life, but what do you gain in the meantime. You may also see that the gift goes unused, only to see its value diminished in the future.

I for one am in favor of playing away. My life is much better having played with my Harry Baby and my Star Wars figures, and our daughters are better off playing with their American Girl Dolls.

The Gospel of Matthew tells a story in chapter 25 about talents. It is a parable that talks about being given so much. The characters are just given the gifts, one five, one two, and the other one. They go off each in their own direction, each with their talents. Two invest, and one decides to play it safe and put his on a shelf.

That story reminds me of the gifts that we are given. We have a choice to bury them, put them on a shelf; or use them and discover the hidden treasure that is revealed. It is a story that talks about how God has given us so much, so many gifts. We have a choice to make. We can either choose to neglect those gifts, or use them.

I guess you know where I stand.

Maybe as we move forward into a new year within the church, you should be asking yourself some tough questions. What gifts have I been given? Have I been using them to the glory of God? Am I building the kingdom, or just hoping to reap some benefit for myself later? Finally, how can I use the gifts that I have been given?

Gracious and loving God, you have given us so much. For that we give thanks. But we pray this day that we might first discover what you have given to us and not waste the provisions and the gifts that you share. Embolden us to service, O Lord, that others will come to know you and your great love. In Jesus name, Amen.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm reminded of my neighbor's house when I was growing up. They had plastic on all of their furniture in the living room. They never really even went in there.
What's the use?? Meanwhile, I let my dog sleep on an heirloom quilt. Perhaps there is a happy medium. :)

Eric Park said...

Greg...

Your post makes me think of the Island of Misfit Toys...

As in, what happens when we feel as though we have been given "misfit gifts"? Gifts that don't seem to be obvious? Gifts that don't seem to fit in? After all, no one wants a Charlie in the Box, right?

Good post, fella. Thanks for challenging us.

Anonymous said...

That's how some people think of their Bible... they never write in it, highlight it, or mark it in anyway...that way it remains perfect... but why? Use it, study it, and do whatever it takes to learn it!

Greg Cox said...

Awesome point, Jan. Welcome back from anonymity.

Brett Probert said...

Yes! Good show! Hear, hear! Jolly good!

Randy Roda said...

I once had one of those "mighty moe" trucks that you pushed once and it would keep on going. My parents still have it only now it is rusted out.

Barb said...

For the blogger's record, Harry Baby was enjoyed by Greg's siblings only as a means to keep him occupied! He chewed, we taunted~ The real Harry Baby story is that he coveted that baby as if he birthed it himself!~!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Barb for revealing the truth of Harry Baby. As the wife, excuse me, step mom of Harry Baby, you said what I could not. We still have Harry, but Greg does not carry him around anymore. I lookws at one of the girls dolls once, which one I do not know; and sure enough, the tips of the toes are missing.