Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Remote Controlled


At what point do we become ruled by earthly things? At what point do we become captive to the things in our lives? Excellent question you may say. But why the questions, you may ask?

There are points in my life when I realize that I have a relatively firm grasp on things. First and foremost, I strive each and everyday to live not to myself, but for God and Jesus Christ. I like to think that ultimately, God has control over my life and through God’s grace I have control over my life. Because of that grace, things do not lord over me and control me. I like to think that I have a firm grasp of my health. I like to believe that I have a good sense of abiding by rules. I like to assume that debt and consumerism do not control my every action. I do not live in fear, so therefore I assume that the world and everyday circumstances do not dictate whether I go outside. Even after this past week’s tragedy in Minneapolis, I like to think that bridges are safe and therefore I will travel over them. Living in Western Pennsylvania, we have no choice but to cross bridges, even if they are “structurally deficient.”

But just when I think that I have things in control, there are moments when I realized just how enslaved I am to some things.

Friday night, Tracy and I left to go to a rehearsal dinner for a wedding I officiated this weekend. During the day, we knew that the television was used and the remote control was facilitating that use. While we went to the rehearsal, our girls stayed at home for another hour and then went to a date night co-op event that was held at the church.

Later that night when we returned home, we put the girls to bed and Tracy and I prepared to unwind from the evening, watch the evening news and eventually go to bed. When I attempted to turn the television on, I could not find the remote. Upon asking the inevitable question, the answer came, “I don’t know.”

Here’s where the control or lack of control comes into focus. Thirty years ago, it would have been nothing to manually turn the television on and sit back and watch a program. But after 25 years of having a little clicker thingie in my hand, I could not. We checked everywhere for that remote and it was no where to be found. Yes, we even checked between the cushions in the couch.

You would have thought that having a firm grasp on reality would indicate that the remote was indeed in the house. But the enslavement took over and I actually went to the store on Saturday morning to buy a new remote.

I bet you know where this story is going. And you would be in the same camp as my wife who later used a very familiar phrase, “I told you so.” You guessed it! The remote showed its unruly head just as I had completed the complicated task of programming my entire entertainment system into my universal remote.

If you have any sympathy for my situation and my enslavement, you will agree that remote controls do not belong in the toy room, in the craft box, under construction paper. I know some crafty people would have found it there, but remember I have an aversion to crafts – therefore the craft box would be the last place I would look.

I know that I should have just slowed down, taken a deep breath and pretended that it was 1977 again, but I could not. I was totally wrapped up in this remote. Which led me to think about a passage from Colossians 3.

1So if you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. 2Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth, 3for you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. 4When Christ who is your life is revealed, then you also will be revealed with him in glory. 5Put to death, therefore, whatever in you is earthly: fornication, impurity, passion, evil desire, and greed (which is idolatry). 6On account of these the wrath of God is coming on those who are disobedient.

I have to constantly remind myself about being controlled by earthly things. Yes, I knew that the remote was going to show up sometime – it didn’t have legs, and the girls were absolutely sure that it didn’t leave the house – but I just couldn’t imagine getting up to change the channels until we found it. At that moment, I realized that I was being controlled by a remote control.

So what’s got a hold of your life this day? What do you need to do to remove it, and focus on Christ?

“Gracious and loving God, help me to always focus on you and on your kingdom. Free me this day from the things that control me and allow my life to be more holy each day. Remove all wrath and passion, and the greed that controls me. Replace that desire with a desire to love you more. I pray this in Jesus name. Amen.”

This week in worship, we will continue our series on the sacraments, and focus on Baptism. I hope to see you this week.

Please pray for me, and know that I am praying for you.
Greg

6 comments:

Brett Probert said...

Quit being so smug.

Chris said...

Greg, its' always in the last place you look. Why would you look any further?

Barb said...

I know the man that you were, looking for the remote, and we call him DAD! That cracks me up, knowing it was you and not me!

Glad you found it and amidst the furry, you were able to relax, and go back to what is important-- I feel for Tracy!

Cheers!

Eric Park said...

Yes indeedy.

"Pretend that it was 1977."

Throw on some polyester bell bottoms, a disco shirt, and go to see Star Wars!!!!

Good post, bud. If there is anything that I am inclined to misuse in my life, it is my television--all 62 inches of it! Thanks for helping me to keep things in perspective.

Prettybird said...

Great post!
We once lost the remote only to our VCR. After diligent searching I decided I would just call the manufacturer and get a replacement one (for some reason the VCR wasn't compatible with a universal remote). The new remote would have cost me $65!! (which is probably why it wasn't compatible with a universal remote) I think we only paid $45 for the VCR!! I started searching again and finally took a razor blade and cut open the dust catcher on the bottom of the sofa and there it was. Then I got a little nuts. I bought a LONG telephone cord (the springy kind) and taped one end of it to the TV stand and the other end to the remote! My family thought I had absolutely lost my mind. Looking back now it's funny. The cord didn't last too long...we kept tripping over it, etc.

It's a very good illustration! Thanks!

love,
r
P.S. I hope you put the new remote somewhere safe for the next time you lose the original! Then send yourself an e-mail reminding you where you put the darn thing...keep it in a specially labeled folder. If your computer crashes I can't help you.

Keith H. McIlwain said...

Robyn is a SLAVE to the remote. It's really quite sad.