Monday, March 30, 2009

No one asked, but . . .

I have had some time to think about some things over the past few days. I've been processing those thoughts and think its just time to put it down in writing.
The other night, I was without kids and my wife was away, so I thought I'd take a ride. I went out of my way to a store that happened to be closed by the time I arrived. However, I realized that I was close to a newer mall in our area, why not go to a store there.
Upon my arrival, I decided to check out a store front that once held a new church start in our Annual Conference. The Conference abandoned the site last fall for a number of reasons. That is not the purpose of this rambling, at least I don't think so.
I walked around the mall, and to my deepest surprise, another congregation had occupied the space that we had abandoned. I have to tell you that my range of emotion was varied from resentment, to disappointment, to celebration, and even righteous indignation. I celebrate the power of God's truth and our need to spread the message. We have to be about building God's kingdom, so most of that was not directed at the "other church," but toward my own.
I posed a simple question. "Why is our conference failing where others are succeeding?" And further, "if we take so much stock in building the church in natural ways, why are we not seeking to do more to build new places for new people."
I keep asking more and more questions. I am hoping that some of these questions will lead to more questions that will lead to some answers some day.
But . . .Why are we not using multi-site models in our local churches. Why are we not getting people excited about meeting the needs of others by planting new places for new people?
. . . .Why are we not celebrating and modeling the places in our annual conference that are doing that very thing?
. . . ..Why do we continue to put more stock in the feelings of those occupying space in a pulpit over the needs of those persons whose needs are not being met by those pastors?
. . . .Why are we not creating new places within our existing congregations? If the people are not equipped, we need leadership to be bold and ask for space within those spaces.
I think we've done enough talking about decline and we need to talk about the real opportunities that exist to provide relevant, indigenous, authentic, relative, sustainable and powerful ministry that build relationships with others and with Jesus Christ. It's time that we develop strategies that will be ready for the next opportunity. It's time that we start building the kingdom, one person, one church, one leader, and one follower at a time.

4 comments:

Charlotte said...

AMEN!

Brett Probert said...

Greg...I resonate w/ your sentiments...particularly those about the needs of pastors vs. the needs of the communities they are to be serving!

Barb said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Barb said...

The needs of the people are NOT the same needs as the pastor.