Monday, March 23, 2009

Tithing as a response to God's Love

April 15th is one of those dates that come around every year. I know that it is coming, and yet at the same time when I think of it, I get a little nauseous in the pit of my stomach. I start to worry about how much I will owe, how much I will have to tighten my belt, and what we will be forced to lose in the weeks following our return.

Early estimates this year tell me that we are going to owe good old Uncle Sam about $1,200. This is directly related to that “stimulus package” that we received last year. It’s complicated – but let’s just say that as a self-employed tax payer by IRS standards, this was more than just an advance to a return. Because we estimate our taxes each year, it really wasn’t an advance on anything.

That initial shock of that number sent chills down my spine, but that won’t linger. I have a calm assurance that we will be ok and that God will provide me with what I need when I need it in order to pay.

Tracy and I tithe our income. If I do some quick math, I could simply withhold that tithe to the church for about two months and I could make up that payment to the government. We could – but we won’t. I won’t do that because I believe that giving and tithing is a response to God’s faithfulness in my life. I will continue to give, because I know that God continues to supply me with everything that I need. It won’t be easy, but I will do it out of faith.

What I owe to the tax man is only one example of what I owe, it is only one example of what you owe. But I believe that tithing, giving a first share, giving 10% of my earnings, is an act of faith. When I give first, everything else has a way of working out.

Tithing causes us to make priorities on our spending. My discipline is really to give my tithe first so that the control must come later. I don’t give out of what I have left over, but what I have first to give. It is an act of obedience; it is an act of faith.

In these difficult economic times, the hardest thing that you might have to do would be to tithe. But have you tried it? Maybe this is exactly the time in your life when you need a little discipline for your spending, a little obedience, and an act of faith. Even though on April 15th, I am going to be cutting a check for $1,200 to the United States Treasury, I am also going to be writing a check for $175 for the work of God in my life.

Scriptures tell us, ““Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,” says the lord Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it.””

Now hear me out. I think you should try it too! In order to really get through these difficult times, why don’t you put complete trust in God and try to tithe just for a week, just for month, just for 6 months? See if God won’t just throw those gates open and pour out a blessing on you.

No comments: