Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The Wonder of It All


Have you ever had one of those days or weeks where things just seem amazing? You look around and wonder how things fit together, or how a child picked up a talent, or even why the weather is what it is? There are times when the body gives us a glimpse of just how wonderful it is, or a moon is particularly beautiful on a starlit night. Have you ever had one of those days?

I probably have them more than I realize, but this past week has been one of those for me. There are several things that caused me to feel that way and in each instance, I was at a loss for words and explanation – but they did cause me to pause and give thanks for wonder and wonderful things.

Last week in the middle of January, our region experienced temperatures that were beyond my own explanation. Some try to explain it, some try to blame it on certain things that we are and aren’t doing. But then I hear that we broke high temperature records that were set back in 1930. I wonder to myself if people were blaming industry or just allowing creation to take its course. I was standing amazed at creation and how God keeps us guessing. Today it’s cold. It just makes me wonder.

Last week I visited some folks in the hospital. And after every explanation as to what could happen and why something was happening, the human body responds with something that defies explanation. I recall my own experience in the hospital and waiting for a human’s best guess. I left the hospital with no answer. I’m not complaining because at the same time they didn’t find anything. No news is good news – but it had me guessing. It also had me standing amazed at the wonder of the human body.

I also got to see a newborn child who at birth weighed less than four pounds. Defying odds and explanations, I heard others describe children who are perfectly healthy, defiant teenagers who were born at less than one pound. I’ve also heard of children who were born much bigger too. I stand amazed at the wonder of new birth.

And yet, I presided at the funeral of a person who lived 96 glorious years. It was not until the last months of her life that she was hospitalized and moved to a care facility. Again, the wonder of a human body. But yet I know how fragile life can be as we see men and women fall in combat; hear of loved ones diagnosed with terminal illnesses; watch as a friend or colleague suffer from a progressive disease. I stand amazed and wonder how, or why – and yet I can still give thanks.

The entire Bible is full of passages that talk of Wonder and Wonderful deeds, but the Psalms are particularly full of them. I came across Psalm 111 and it spoke to me as I stood amazed.

This week, I’m having one of those weeks – I am amazed. And for that, I give thanks. I hope that you can too.
Please pray for me, and know that I am praying for you.
Greg

4 comments:

Brett Probert said...

What happened to "please pray for me, and know I'm praying for you."?

Greg Cox said...

I copied and pasted incorrectly from my original document. And then I was too lazy to hit edit after I posted.

Greg Cox said...

There - I fixed it.

Brett Probert said...

Thank you. And Greg, please pray for me, and know I'm praying for you.