Tuesday, January 22, 2008

It is . . .snowing!


People say it often, “Greg, you act like a big kid!” My usual response to such a statement is one of gratitude rather than disdain. It is largely true and in my opinion, one that illustrates my personality. I take to heart the admonition from scripture that one must become like a child in order to inherit the kingdom.

Today is one of those days that confirm my child-like spirit. January has been less than exciting in terms of its weather, but today we finally had a prediction of snow. Initially, the reports were less than exciting – maybe less than an inch. But as I drove to work today, it was coming down, and coming down quickly.

There was that child-like inner spirit that was getting really excited. I Love Snow! I have said often that I love snow, mostly because I love all of the seasons. It’s January, and so it should be snowing would be my opinion. I know that it is not a popular opinion, but it’s my opinion and I’m sticking to it.

In my first appointment, we lived in the midst of the northern Snow Belt in Western Pennsylvania. To Pittsburghers, that’s what weather forecasters refer to as “above I-80.” Actually, I think it is misleading to talk about “the” Snow Belt. I like to think that there are several belts, and the severity of the snow in that belt just depends on the weather. We lived about 5 miles out of Titusville, and could get walloped with snow. Drive into Titusville, and there could have been a dusting. Drive 5 miles north of our home, and conditions could be more severe. However, the total opposite could be true in any given snow event.

I remember one year while we lived in Titusville, we had snow everyday for what seemed like 14 days. We had lake affect snow everyday in that period ranging anywhere from 6 to 10 inches. I remember because I shoveled our drive and porch everyday, and sometimes several times a day. Even in that much snow – I loved it.

In addition to shoveling, I would take walks in the woods, take Sarah for rides in the snow, and even sled ride with the children of the church. You now see some childlike behavior emerging.

But in spite of the shoveling and the fun, I think what I like most about the snow is that at this time of year, the snow seems to make everything new again. Snow has the capacity to cover up the dirt and the grime, it makes everything clean again.

There is something to be said for us as humans. We need the snow every so often to cover up and make us clean again. It is a chance to see that there is a better way of living. I don’t know about you, but I much prefer the clean to the dirt.

Lent is coming up, and while I suppose it would have been good to wait until the beginning of Lent to talk about this – it snowed today. It reminded me of a Psalm and prayer of cleansing and pardon. Psalm 51 asks God to wash us clean, wash us thoroughly from our iniquity. And then this is the part that I like, the part that I prayed as I was driving in that new, fresh, driving, snow – Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

This time of year, I imagine that there are a lot of us that feel like we need a fresh start, a clean start. It’s only January 22, and we already feel like we need to be made clean. Take a look at psalm 51 – it’s a good prayer, and a good start. You don’t have to like snow in order to ask for it. Just pray it this day and God will bring that cleansing for you.

“Create in me a clean heart, O God, and put a new and right spirit within me.”
Psalm 51:10.


Please pray for me, and know that I am praying for you.
Greg

5 comments:

Jan said...

So true, so true...

Brett Probert said...

Good schtuff.

Anonymous said...

It is not what you say but how you say it - and Greg you said it so well!

Anonymous said...

Lord Jesus, I long to be perfectly whole: I want Thee forever to live in my soul: Break down every idol, cast out every foe--Now wash me and I shall be whiter than snow. Another old childhood hymn by James L Nicholson 1872.....

Unknown said...

I'm looking out my window and it's snowing. Shaver's looking out his window and the palm tree is blowing in the wind.