Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Tell Me the Stories of Jesus

There is a great hymn that we often sing around Palm Sunday and Easter entitled, “Tell me the stories of Jesus.” The hymn is a particular favorite of mine and it reminds me of children’s parades and waving palm branches.

But for some reason, this morning I caught myself thinking about that song as we approached this coming Sunday. This week is traditionally the Sunday when we read texts relating to Jesus baptism. The Gospel of Matthew recounts the story in the third chapter. While we in the Methodist Church often relate baptism with children, it might be easy for us to miss or temporarily disassociate the fact that Jesus was baptized as an adult.

And that got me thinking. Church time and real time just don’t sync sometimes. It was just days ago when we were talking about Magi and Mangers, gifts and quick get-a-ways to Egypt. And now, just a few days later – Presto Chango – Jesus is a full grown man ready to be thrust into the wilderness and begin his ministry.

I think that’s why I was humming that tune this morning, because I was thinking a lot about some recent discussions about Jesus and his childhood. What did he like to do? Did he know that he was different that other little children running around the villages? Did he ever get disciplined? Did he say please and thank you? There are very few stories that really tell us who Jesus was as a child and what he was like. There is a part of many of us that want to know more of the story. You may feel like a child who is being read a book at bedtime by your parents – don’t try to skip a page.

The Gospels of Mark and John are the two books that begin the story differently – so there’s not a feeling like there is anything missing. But Matthew and Luke give us just a glimpse. But of those two – Luke is my favorite. While it doesn’t give us a year by year recounting – it does give us some rich stories.

J. Ellsworth Kalas notes that one of the clearest understandings of Jesus comes from Luke and that “Jesus was inducted into the faith life of his people from the very beginning of his life. He was the product of a conventionally religious home. When he was a boy of twelve, he made his first great pilgrimage to a religious festival, just as did all Jewish children who were following their faith.” (Christmas from the Back Side, p. 67).

But that still doesn’t tell me if his parents had any trouble getting him to put on his coat this morning even though the forecast was unseasonably warm! (Sorry about that – that was me, not Joseph!)

If you have an opportunity this week – I would invite you to take a look at a rich chapter in Luke. It won’t take you long to read. But reading chapter two of the Gospel will just give you a little more of the story. It is something that I want to hear.

This week in worship, we are going to be hearing a message entitled, “Chosen for Greatness.” We will be focusing on Christ and his purpose – why he came. I look forward to seeing you all this week. I for one am looking forward to some snow – I know that I might be the only one.

Please pray for me, and know that I am praying for you.

Greg

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So good to talk with you and catch up this morning. Seems with everyone from the 4R's crew - even if we don't talk for awhile - we all pick up right where we left off.
I just discovered your blog - good writing!!