Tuesday, December 18, 2007

W00t - there it is!


I once knew a pastor who would often allow the youth of the church to give her a word that she would have to fit into her sermon on Sunday morning. The challenge for the youth was to find a word that would cause some sense of consternation for the preacher, while it was the challenge of the preacher to fit a moot word into her sermon and make it relevant to the sermon.

Someone tried that with me this past summer to see if I could use the word “binturong” in my sermon. I told them that I would have to wait until I preached on Noah the next time. If you don’t know what a binturong is, I guess you are going to be doing some online searching today, along with some of the other words I use.

I like new words, and I have always been told that if you intend on learning a new word, you must use it. It is like a name. If you intend on learning someone’s name, it is said that you must use it immediately upon learning a name.

When learning new words, it is interesting to know its etymology or origins. It gives us some understanding of how the word evolved and how it came into popular use. Sometimes it even suggests why certain languages will use different words to describe something that is the same. For example, do you know why Russians call their space explorers “cosmonauts” while Americans call them “astronauts?” Again, another online search if you don’t know.

As you can imagine, Merriam-Webster is also very interested in words. Each year, they publish a word of the year. It is a word that has influenced the culture in which we live and often is a word that is new or evolving.

Well, you could say that preachers are not the only ones making up new words. This year’s word of the year according to Merriam-Webster is “W00t.” “W00t” is spelled, W Zero Zero t. But what I can’t find in the etymology is where it will be placed in alphabetical order. For that matter, Merriam-Webster doesn't even have it as a word defined online. Curious!?!. And what I find even more curious is that my computer recognizes it as a correctly spelled word.

“W00t” according to Merriam-Webster and the associated press writer Stephanie Reitz is “a hybrid of letters and numbers used by gamers as an exclamation of happiness or triumph.” The word topped all others that were submitted for consideration in an online poll for the word that best sums up the year 2007. Merriam-Webster’s president says that the word is an ideal choice because it is a blend of “whimsy and new technology.”

As you know, the church is observing the season of Advent. Traditionally, the season is a season of preparation and waiting. Repentance is part of the tradition of the church as we anticipate the arrival of Christ both as a child and as King. Colors of purple, gray, somber hues, and more recently blue are used to mark the time. Advent, from the Latin “adventus” meaning “to come,” is translated from the Greek “perousia” meaning second coming.

The Third Sunday of Advent has traditionally been called “Gaudete Sunday.” It is the Sunday that we light the Rose or Pink Candle on the wreaths. It is a Sunday that is more joyous in celebration and anticipation. There is a joyous undertone to the readings and to the day as we anticipate Christ’s arrival and birth. Does that mean that if we were being contextual, we would have called this “W00t Sunday?”

Regardless of whether you are celebrating this week in a joyous tone or by proclaiming “W00t”, I do pray that you are continuing to prepare for Christ’s arrival.

“W00t in the Lord always, again I say W00t.”

This week in worship, we will be lighting our fourth candle on the Advent Wreath. My sermon is “Wake me up when this is all over.” I look forward to seeing you in worship. Remember that this is a season of invitation – invite others to worship with you and give them a gift that carries with it no price tag but will make eternal difference in their lives.

Please pray for me, and know that I am praying for you.
Greg

2 comments:

Eric Park said...

Thanks for this thoughtful and well-written piece, Greg.

But tell me...

Is money still the W00t of all evil?

There. I used it in a sentence.

Prettybird said...

The kids in the Connellsville band have been saying "WOOT" for years just to express their general joy about something. Kind of like "Whoopee". Don't know how this fits into the official definition, but Christian does own a shirt that says "Band Geek" on the front and "Woot" on the back.
Yay!
r