Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Priorities


On Monday before I left the office, I wrote a brief list of things that I had to do. I occasionally write these lists hoping to remember all of the things that I have to do. I don’t always get to them all, but at least they are written down as a reminder. Sometimes the lists grow as the day goes along. Sometimes things get crossed off the list, other times, items linger.

Those lists often are sometimes more about priorities than lists of items that need to be accomplished. We may have many things that have to be done, but only the really important things get on the list. They become priorities.

I’m thinking about priorities today, because I’ll be truthful with you – this E-pistle was not one of them. In fact, it was lower down the list. The first thing that I needed to accomplish today was a Christmas letter. When that was done, I felt like I could spend some time on this.

That got me thinking about how we prioritize things in our life, especially during this time of year. Unfortunately, there are so many things that have to be done, that it becomes a matter of prioritizing our life and the tasks that have to be accomplished. You may be saying – how is that any different than any other time of year. I guess it’s different because of the pressures to get everything done.

That raises a question in my mind. Are you making worship a priority during this busy time of year or is it falling down the list of things to be done? Are you spending time in quite, in prayer, in devotion; or is it just something that can’t be done?

In a time when we make such a fuss over making appearances at holiday parties because we sent an RSVP, or making sure that we give a gift because it is something that is expected, are we making time for the important things?

Christmas and Advent are seasons of wonder, expectation, love and joy – but they can also be times of busy schedules and trying to meet the demands of everything that we put on our plates. So I guess this e-pistle is a simple reminder that in the midst of everything that we need to do, make sure you take some time for the things that really matter. In the end – I know that you will be blessed.

“Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness. And all these things shall be added unto you.” Matthew 6:33.

This week in worship, our children will be proclaiming the Word in their Children’s program. I know that this will be one of the special moments of the season. I hope you will make it a priority in your life. Following worship we will share in a congregational meal. Don’t forget to invite other to worship. I look forward to seeing you and welcoming you personally.

Please pray for me, and know that I am praying for you.
Greg

1 comment:

Barb said...

add this to the things to do, when you are overstressed this month...

~Call your sister and be the sweetest brother in the world!

B~