Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Ramblings

Each week, I write an email to my Sunday School Class. Since I have been out of the loop for a while, I thought I'd share it with you here.

Grace to you and peace from Christ our Savior and in the Spirit of the one who comes.

In the fourth chapter of "Rich in the Things that Count the Most," Moore notes that he has read some interesting bulletin bloopers. I have made my share of bloopers, but nothing that would amount to an entire book.

I have a book entitled, "Did you Read That? Bulletin Bloopers & Church Funnies." It has some good ones, especially my favorite:

Tonight's Sermon: What is Hell?
Come early and listen to our choir practice.

I'm not making any judgements or statements about our choir - I just thought it was funny!

This week is Pentecost. Pentecost is sometimes known as the birthday of the church. It's too bad that we missed our anniversary/birthday of College Hill by only one week, but they are both significant.

When I think of Pentecost and what happened on that day in the upper room, I am often amazed and filled with wonder. What an experience it must have been in those early moments to experience the sense of the Spirit's presence. How I long to recapture that not only on Pentecost Sunday, but every Sunday in the church. Next to Resurrection Sunday, it must have been a spectacular moment!

Next week, we will be celebrating our 100th Anniversary. That same presence of the Spirit surely was present 100 years ago, as a group of people gathered to call themselves "church" and to witness to the saving Grace of Christ and to proclaim that Word. How awesome that must have been.

This week, we will be sharing in the fourth chapter of Moore's Book, Rich in the Power of Life Changing Words. I have always believed that words carry such power, and we ought to be careful about what we say and how we say it - because every word is powerful.

I hope that we feel that same way about the Word that we share. We should be taking seriously the Word that became flesh and dwelt among us, and take seriously the breath that fell on those disciples on that first Pentecost Sunday. I pray that we can be rich in that Spirit.

As I said earlier - continue to pray for those beautiful children that God has given. Continue to pray for those who are hospitalized, and especially for our 100th Anniversary Celebration that is coming up next week.

Wouldn't it be great if we had to set up chairs next week????? Someone's life might be changed and enriched by the Word of God!

I am praying for you, please be in prayer for me.

Peace
Greg

5 comments:

Randy Roda said...

I am excited about your church anniversary. I hope it is a great chance for your church to reflect upon their gifts for ministry and to celebrate the many lives that have been changed.

I'd love to hear more bulletin bloopers.

Brenda said...

Praying for your 100th church anniversary. My Great, Great Aunt and Uncle, Bob and Dorthy Sechrist were members of College Hill. So I have some great memories from when I was young and would come to church and church functions with them. I too think it would be great if you had to set up chairs. If you preach it they will come. If you preach the Word of God that is.

Brett Probert said...

Happy Anniversary. Can I come help to celebrate?

Greg Cox said...

Brett, uh, do we need to talk?

Keith H. McIlwain said...

What a great opportunity! Hope it all goes well!