Friday, May 25, 2007

How things have changed

Last night, I did some grillin'. I found an idea for Kabobs in a magazine article and bought everything necessary for them. Two of the ingredients were mango and pineapple.

I have purchased odd fruits before and often times you will see a sheet published on how to cut or section the fruit. I bought a pomegranate once and had to read the instructions on how to get to the fruit. By the way - the Food Network calls it "nature's most labor intensive fruit." A pineapple often has the instructions for cutting it strapped right to it.

So last night as I was preparing for our Caribbean Jerk Kabobs, I had to cut the mango. No instruction manual came with the fruit, nor did the trusty 1950's version of the cook book provide any help. I asked the lovely wife if she knew, and she had no idea.

Then I went to the only other place that I know - the internet! It was there that I found great instructions.

As I was sectioning this fruit for dinner, I was thinking a lot about our upcoming 100th Anniversary at the church. I have been thinking a lot about it in recent days, but last night I was thinking about it in other ways.

I have been in ministry in the local church for 9 years now. Things have changed and I certainly have adjusted . The internet is probably the single most expansive change that I can think of, but I know that there are others.

But those 9 years of change pale in comparison to the changes that have come and gone in the local church in 100 years. Bulletins have changed, the sanctuary has changed, pastors have come and gone, Beaver Falls has changed dramatically - and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Yet, in preparing for this anniversary next week, the one thing that that I know remains unchanged is God's faithfulness to his church, and his covenant that he has made with his people. The instructions for that covenant have not changed, and you can find the promise in the same place that it has always been found.

Oh, sure you can find the Word on the internet, but its sometimes better to read the hardcopy.

Thank you God for your Covenant and for its everlasting mark on our lives.

2 comments:

Randy Roda said...

A lot has changed in the church over the 15 years I have been in ministry. I have served under three bishops and six different superintendents. We have gone from spiritual trailblazing to fan the flame and now to believe again. I see my contemporaries now moving into leadership positions and feel great about the future of the church.

And by the way...I love mango.

Brett Probert said...

Amen to the change...and it is fun.

As for mango, when I lived in Africa, I had a mango tree in front of my hut...fresh mango is awesome and nothing like the punk you buy in the store. Next time you make that dish, let me know and I'll swing by the Democratic Republic of the Congo and get you some fresh stuff.