Wednesday, May 2, 2007

I am Iron Man!

On the way to the hospital and work this morning, I was listening to WDVE. (I actually thought I'd link the post here, but then realized that there may be some objectionable material on their homepage - if you dare you may go.) On their morning show, they were doing a segment on the recent Comicon that was held in Monroeville. Comicon is a comic book convention.

During the morning show bit, they were talking about the convention and who attends, what can be found there, and who the latest and greatest comic book heroes are today. They actually interviewed someone who loves the Incredible Hulk and believes that there is "a little Hulk in all of us."

There is a fellow WPA Blogger who mentioned this convention recently, noting that Peter Mayhew, aka Chewbacca, was present at the convention. The radio show was saying that in this case, Mayhew and his character from Star Wars is an example of Art imitating Life. They argued that Lucas looked at Mayhew and must have said, "I want him, but more hair!" If you've seen Mayhew, you know that's just funny!

So - I also remembered my trip to Russia when I was electrocuted with 220 volts of electricity and I was called "Sparky." The aforementioned blogger was called "Blademan" for his new found penchant for cutting floor tile.

But I realized today that I have an alter ego. I am Iron Man. Today, I went for the second week in a row for a blood test to see if my Iron level is where it should be. I have Hemochromatosis, which in my case is caused by a genetic mutation. Last week, my FE level was 88 and so I had phlebotomy on Thursday. If it is above 50 again today, I will go for more blood letting tomorrow. Considering I haven't had phlebotomy for about a year, that's not too bad.

Count me in for the next Xmen movie. I am a mutant. I am Iron Man.

9 comments:

Eric Park said...

What a post!

And what a revelation!

Tell me, my mutant friend, will you use your powers for good or evil?

At a Comicon event a few years ago, I actually met
Richard LeParmentier. He was the actor who portrayed General Motti in Star Wars: A New Hope. General Motti was the guy on the Death Star that Darth Vader started to "strangle" by the power of the Force. Remember the scene?

"Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerer's ways, Lord Vader. Your sad devotion to that ancient religion has not helped you conjure up the stolen data tapes, or given you clairvoyance enough to find the Rebel's hidden fortress...gurgle....gasp"

Vader responds: "I find your lack of faith disturbing."

Anyway, I struck up a conversation with this dude at Comicon a few years back. He was one of the guest "celebrities." Joining the two of us in that conversation was Julie Cialine, who was the Playboy Playmate of the Year in 1995. She was at Comicon because many comic book artists used her as a model for their female characters. Her booth was right beside the Death Star guy's booth.

So, there we were....a preacher, the Death Star guy, and a Playmate. Sounds like the set up for a really bad joke, doesn't it?!

Turns out that the Death Star guy is a practicing Episcoplaian. Beyond that, the Playmate told me that it was the first time that she had ever had a sustained conversation with a pastor, and that she really appreciated it. She told me that she believes in Jesus and prays every day. The Death Star guy affirmed her for her faith and told her to keep at it.

All of which is to say....

You need to get yourself to Comicon! It is quite a mission field.

I also met Erin Gray at a Comicon event. She was Buck Roger's female sidekick back in the 1980's. But that's another story.

Way to go, Iron Man! Keep yourself healthy. And fight some crime while you're at it.

Keith H. McIlwain said...

I met John Byrne (a legendary writer/artist) a few years back at the Pgh Comicon. I like comic books & superheroes, but my brother is the family's REAL expert; he goes every year and is always trying to get me to go with him.

At any rate, I hope the iron condition doesn't have too many bad side effects. Being a mutant can be cool, and all that, but I hope it doesn't cause you problems.

Like my wings have done for me.

Greg Cox said...

All this talk makes me want to pop in Star Wars tonight! Or for that matter, pull out the Playboy from under my matress. Oh - sorry, I'm not 12 anymore. But I will watch Star Wars, or maybe even the first Xmen.

Actually, because I caught the condition early (34 years old then) I have no affects other than keeping my Feretin under control. The lab called back and it is 60 today, so I go for phlebotomy in the morning.

I won't be evangelizing any playmates of the year there - but maybe offering some hope to a cancer patient or two in the Cancer Center.

Barb said...

Greg, you are freaking me out showing your Star Wars and Comicon obsession that is obviously shared with your Blogger Buds. Show up at either conventions dressed in character, and I promise to ignore you for eternity. (Naturally,said in the most Christian way possible) Anywho..."sparky" and "blademan" can start a Comic strip of their very own, and I would actually read it. So that said, bleed on oh chosen one, Bleed on. Lullu!

Brett Probert said...

ummm...did I miss something? It must be one of those 'culturally relevant' things...

Greg Cox said...

Culturally Irrelavent actually.

Prettybird said...

I can't believe I know you people. Know what's scarier??!! I actually understand what you're talking about! My darn husband. He did this to me. I was a cheerleader for cryin' out loud!

Love you all!
robyn
P.S. Thanks, Greg, for stating the obvious. We all knew you were a mutant.

Barb said...

I cant believe that I am Greg's sister, PRETENDING to know the rest of you...when in fact, no one has any idea who I am.
Knowing that, you would love me if you knew me too, Robyn.

Does that make me a mutant by birth?

Prettybird said...

Barb,

Not a "mutant by birth".

You're an Honorary Mutant!

r