Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Amazing Worship

Last week, most of us in Beaver Falls were listening to reports of the devastating loss of the Otterbein Church. Initial reports talked of damage, but it wasn’t long before most people realized that the structure that we call a church was totally destroyed by the fire.

Church is often thought of a place of worship. We talk a good game about a church being the people, but when it comes down to it, if you were to ask most people, they would probably describe a building if you ask them to define, “Church.”

Worship also causes us considerable difficulty when we try to define it and describe it. Ask one person to describe “traditional worship” and it will not always match the description of another’s. Descriptions of worship vary as much as flavors of soda. (And for those of you stuck on the word Soda – I’ll offer you the alternative “Pop.”)

Those thoughts lead me to a question that I have been pondering over the past week since the fire in Beaver Falls. Where and how do you worship? And of course, you know that leads me to a story.

This past week, I worshipped several times. I worshipped in a hall with about 150 people. I led worship in an Orthodox Sanctuary, I married a couple in what I would call worship, but in a converted warehouse, and I also worshipped in an historic church in the heart of Richmond Virginia on Sunday morning. But probably the most significant worship for me this week, took place on the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

Yes – you heard me correctly; On the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

Last week before I left, I created a mix of Christian music and burned a CD for our trip. It had a variety of Christian songs on it, but mostly it was worship music. Along our journey to Virginia, we played the CD. Tracy and I were singing and talking about the words of many of the songs. We were lifting our hearts in praise and prayer as the miles rolled under the tires of our vehicle. Several times during those moments, I was even brought to tears through the words that were being offered in praise.

One of the songs entitled, Revelation Song, talks about the God of creation and the God of our salvation. It goes on to say that with all creation I sing praise to the King of Kings, You are my everything, and I will adore you.

But even more significant on that road were the words that spoke of being clothed in rainbows, of living color, flashes of lightning, and rolling thunder. As those words were being expressed and even heart felt, the brilliant colors of the rainbow were being drawn out before me in the deep colors of fall. The trees that rolled past us throughout the mountains of the Alleghenies could not have been more magnificent. Saying a prayer of Thanksgiving for the splendor that was unfolding before my eyes was truly a gift of worship for me.

So, yes! I had one of the most meaningful worship experiences this week – on the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

Psalm 100 reminds us: Shout for joy to the LORD, all the earth. Worship the LORD with gladness; come before him with joyful songs. Know that the LORD is God. It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, the sheep of his pasture. Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name. For the LORD is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations.

Psalm 100 doesn't say where or how, it just says, Worship. So, Yes – you can even worship on the turnpike. But sometimes we need to be the body of Christ, so don’t let vacation be your excuse to miss church on Sunday. I look forward to seeing you in worship!

Please pray for me, and know that I am praying for you.
Greg

3 comments:

Barb said...

I got my Red Bible in 3rd grade, at IUMC by memorizing the 100th Psalm. Pretty cool!

Love it and you B~

Brett Probert said...

I don't know about the 100th Psalm, but nice hair!

Unknown said...

Hey do you have a copy for me bro?