Friday, May 9, 2008

Why do we do what we do?

Many of you know that my mornings are unlike most clergy who get to walk across the street to their offices, or drive a block or two. My office is 26 miles away. In this economy of rising gas prices, I guess I could choose to run two marathons a day, but I choose to drive. Good choice.

Most mornings I fill my long commute with the sounds of Mike and Mike in the Morning. I'm a big sports fan and so this gets my juices flowing as I drive, drink my coffee, and prepare for my day. I love their interviews, their guests, and their way of providing entertainment. I also listen, because more than making me think about sports, it makes me think about much, much more.

This morning, they were interviewing Bonnie Bernstein. She is noted for her sideline reporting during sporting events. I've never thought that those reporters had the easiest job and it was confirmed during the interview.

One of the questions that was asked dealt with the interviews with coaches either at half-time, or immediately following a game. The guys were asking her about how awkward that moment must be. Basically, they were asking, "Why do you do that? Why do we insist on aking coaches questions when we know how hard it is? Why is that a part of a broadcast?"

Her answer was simple. She acknowledged how difficult it is to get a sound bite or an answer out of a coach during those moments of frustration, but that there is always a chance that you are going to get something. There is always a chance that you are going to get that one good answer, ask that one good question, get that one nugget.

That made me think about what we do every day and even ask the question, Why do we do what we do?

On this Pentecost weekend, I think its about getting that one chance to make a difference in someone's life, making a difference in such a way that we continue to press on toward the goal line in hopes of making a kingdom difference. It isn't always easy, we don't always get confirmation or the right answer - but there is always that one little moment . . .

And it all makes sense, God makes a difference. And before we know it, more and more lives are influenced, more and more lives are saved.

3 comments:

Keith H. McIlwain said...

I love the Mike & Mike show.

Brett Probert said...

Pray for me, and know that I'm praying for you.

Barb said...

Why wouldnt they call it something else besides "mike and mike"? wouldnt it be better if they called it something like, "Mike and Greg"? The same names? Dumb!