Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Take Me Out to the Ball Game!


If I had the time and the creativity, I think that I would write a parable about baseball. Specifically, if I could get away with it – I would write it about the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Some of you know that I love baseball. It was the sport that I played when I was a boy. I fondly remember going to McKnight Elementary late in the winter for little league sign-ups. My parents would pay my registration fee and we would get a packet of raffle tickets that would offset the cost. I would run around the neighborhood selling those tickets for the athletic association.

Then practice would start and we would have those days that were rained out in early spring. I hated those days. I loved playing and running around so much that every opportunity to get my glove on and run the bases was a good day.

I remember the fields on which we would play, the league names and even remember some of the coaches. There were also the opposing coaches – the ones who would sit on that overturned bucket with a cigar in their mouths. There were always the older kids in the league who looked ominous on the mound. Would I get beaned by this pitcher? Would I get a hit? Would my father call me out on strikes if he was the umpire?

I also remember waiting patiently for my parents to arrive at the ball field during a game. I was probably distracted until I saw either their car or their faces in the stand. From what I remember, my parents were pretty faithful about attending my games. My father may have missed an inning or two because of work, but they were there. They may have missed a game or two because of conflicts with my sibling’s schedules, but they were always there in my mind.

Now that I am a parent, I can easily say that they came because they loved me – not because the baseball was any good. For all I know, they could have been talking to the other parents the entire time. That is of course with the exception of the times that my father was a volunteer umpire and he would call me out on strikes!

I love this time of year! The baseball season has begun. I recall all of those great memories of winning seasons, and lost games, but most importantly the Pirates have started to play.

I am one who often jokes about the Pirates and their losing ways, but to be truthful, I love the Pittsburgh Pirates. They are my team. They are the team that I grew up watching and loved to watch as a child. They were the players that I wanted to emulate. I wanted to hit like Willie Stargell, steal bases like Omar Marino, and catch like Tony Pena. In spite of their record over the past years – 15 to be exact – I still love them.

I have become like my parents. I go to the games not because they are the greatest team in the league, but because they are my team.

That makes me think about God and the ways that he loves us. God loves us unconditionally. He watches us grow and say that we want to change, and yet when we don’t – he is still there, still watching us, still loving us. We can’t execute a simple squeeze play in the ninth inning, but nonetheless he still loves us. He is our God, and we are his people.

There is an oft used phrase that says, God loves us just the way we are, but refuses to leave us that way. I think that’s very true not only with me as a Pirate fan, but in our relationship with God. God comes to us even in our current state. But can you imagine what Joy there will be when we finally get it right.

Parables always close with statements like this. There will be much rejoicing in heaven over one winning season, when even a team who has lost for 15 consecutive seasons, finally gets it right.

I know that’s true with God, now lets just hope that the Pirates can work toward at least a .500 season!

This week, I will be sharing a brief message on the story of the Gate Keeper entitled “Just Honk the Horn.” I will be sharing a story about my time in the rural community and my run-in with a heard of sheep. We look forward to also welcoming Reflection from Geneva who will be sharing their gift of music.

Please pray for me, and know that I am praying for you.
Greg

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so theological! However did you come up with your post? Really, a very good post. God is faithful, even when we strike out - I think your dad knows that. God is faithful and loves us even when we throw a wild pitch to let the winning run in. God is faithful, loves us and gives us peace even if we have 15 losing seasons in a row. Here's hoping for .500.
Elephant Shoes.

Barb said...

Town Talk bread wrapper day doesnt hold a candle to your belief in that team. You should be a spokes person for the Pirates, maybe putting a theological twist on their advertising may make the team have more followers.

Great message under it all Greg, thanks!

Greg Cox said...

I much prefer Star Wars Trading Cards in my Town Talk Bread!

Keith H. McIlwain said...

Good post, brother. And may God have mercy on the Pirates.

Brett Probert said...

um...hello? people don't care about that, they just want to lose weight.

Greg Cox said...

Not going to happen in the new all you can eat section. Its a way to get closer to God. Eat more - die early! That's the new motto of the section.

Barb said...

For crying in a bucket Greg...5 years ago you would have fought tooth and nail to get seats in the "all you can eat section" but since your steller weight loss/fitness kick...it is all of a sudden a not so attractive section to sit in. Interesting huh?

Barb said...

HELLO???????? Where are you people????????