Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The Important Things In Life

How many times in a day do you get one of those emails that offers you a philosophy on life and prompts you to send this onto five of the most important people including the one who sent it to you? I get them quite often, read them quite regularly, but don’t forward them. It’s not a reflection of the person or the message, but many times a time factor. Plus they really have to be the most spectacular thing I’ve ever read. Plus, how would I be able to come up with these wonderful emails that you delete? Just kidding!

I got one of those emails today. Actually it had all of the characteristics of the aforementioned, but it didn’t tell me that I was a heathen if I didn’t forward it. It was about the important things in life. I read it before, and I read it again.

In a nutshell, it asked if you could remember the five wealthiest people in the world, the last five Heisman Trophy winners, and even some other trivial information. I for one am usually a master of useless knowledge, but even this information is beyond my scope of reason.

It then asked if you could name a few teachers who aided your journey through school; three friends who have helped you through a difficult time; five people who have taught you something worthwhile; a few people who have made you feel appreciated and special; and five people you enjoy spending time with.

You can probably come up with the point of this story and the email, but sometimes these things cause you to think just a little bit about what is really important.

And then there are the times when a real email is read about a real situation, and it makes you take stock even more.

Late yesterday, after being home all day with the kids and dreading the fact that I was not in the office, I received a phone call from a college buddy. Our friend was in an accident in Maryland and was not expected to live. It is so hard to hear about a friend who is married with three children, who will not be with us much longer. So many thoughts go through your head, so much pain and hurt for the family. You remember a friend, and laughter.

And suddenly, you take stock in what is really important! Suddenly spending time sled ridding, building an igloo, and cooking dinner for your family isn’t so bad after all!

This entire time, I have been thinking about a text that I have often repeated, but it is also making a lot of sense today. Matthew reminds us of how Christ told his followers not to worry about tomorrow, which will bring worries of its own. Worry about the important things, and reassures us that God will take care of the rest. It also says, “Strive first for the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.”

This E-pistle is a day late – but can you tell I’m not too worried? I value you and I value the opportunity to be with you. Simply writing this today is a cause for me to give thanks for the day, for my God, for you, for my family . . . well I could go on. But for now, I give thanks for today, and hope that you can as well. Remember, tomorrow will have worries of its own.

This week in worship we will continue our Lenten journey together as we hear the story of Nicodemus in John 3. I hope that you will be here and take stock in what God has given you this week. I look forward to worshipping with you.

Please pray for me, and know that I am praying for you.
Greg

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greg,
Yes, I do read your blog! You have been in my prayers all day. Thank you for being important to our family. Elelphant Shoes.
Tracy

Unknown said...

I didn't get the forward. I'm waiting.

Good post brother. Yes, thank God for the snowy days and what we have right before our very eyes.

Anonymous said...

If you are able, please pray for the family tonight at 6:00 as they make the very difficult transition and terminate life support.