Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Choosy Lovers Choose Jif - I mean Jesus!

Well, it’s official! The church is just another thing for which people shop. A recent study that was released by the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life, states that more and more people are shopping for churches, and brand loyalty is a thing of the past.

Actually, I am surprised that it took this long for it to be stated in a report, because I think that many people have known it for a long time. In fact, I think that others have done studies that have stated the very same thing, but this story is acting much like Punxsutawney Phil’s pronouncement on February 2nd, it states the obvious.

I read stories on this very topic twice in the past 12 hours. One of the stories from Time Magazine was forwarded to me, and the other appeared in the Post Gazette this morning. Both stories report the findings of the survey conducted by the Pew Forum, but I guess I wasn’t as surprised by the findings as the authors of the articles.

Quite simply, while Americans claim to be religious, almost a quarter of people who responded have “switched” denominations and even faiths during their life time. Christians still dominate the American landscape, but Protestants are losing their majority slowly. Many people experience shifts in their lifetime as families begin to experience church differently than they did in their upbringing.

You have probably seen this in your reality. People may claim to be “Catholic” but do not attend, or “Protestant” but don’t know a denominational affiliation. Most people today will shop for churches that meet the needs of their families or find someplace where “everybody knows their name.”

Branding is a hot topic in church administrative discussions, but the truth is that from this perspective, I think it is probably most important that we do our best as a church at proclaiming Christ and him crucified, and if it is as a Methodist or a Catholic – great. Working for the Kingdom of God should be our most important objective. Transforming lives and families should be our chief goal.

In the twenty-forth chapter of Joshua, I think it talks about this article. "Now fear the LORD and serve him with all faithfulness. Throw away the gods your forefathers worshiped beyond the River and in Egypt, and serve the LORD. But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your forefathers served beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD."

If you ask me on a normal day, I’d probably tell you that I’m a United Methodist. However, it is most important for me to be a Christian; to love others, and most importantly to love God. And as for me and my house – we will serve the Lord.

This week in worship we will continue to Follow Christ in our Lenten Journey. My message will be on opening ourselves to the prospect of faith. I look forward to seeing you and greeting you as a brother and sister in Christ as we seek to serve the Lord.

Please pray for me, and know that I am praying for you.
Greg

3 comments:

Keith H. McIlwain said...

I am happy to be a United Methodist; I am THRILLED to be one of Jesus' disciples.

Brett Probert said...

But WHO is the customer?

Greg Cox said...

OOOH, I know!