Monday, April 2, 2007

Balancing Act

Yesterday was an awesome day of worship at College Hill. What a wonderful experience to come into worship and proclaim God's Word and message of Salvation. Palm / Passion Sunday has always been one of those days where I feel the need to balance the celebration with the pain, the Palms and the Passion. I am always keenly aware that not everyone will be back in worship until next Sunday, Easter Sunday. I don't want people to miss the ultimate message of the week - and that is that Christ died and became broken, so that in our brokenness, we might be healed.

However, I don't have long to decompress following worship yesterday, because this is a busy week. I am participating in several community services in Beaver Falls this week, so I don't have "extra" services for which I need to prepare. I do, however, need to begin to focus on Easter.

That's were the balancing act begins.

I feel a tremendous amount of pressure to get this week "right." Add on top of that, the idea that there is such a potential for sharing the message to a person for the first time. Add on top of that, the folks who only come twice a year. Add another layer of proclaiming a message that many already know. Add on top of that, add on top of that . . . .

Oh - this will also be the first time that I have shared an Easter Message on Easter in five years after having been an associate pastor in that time. So, I want to get it right.

I am praying for everyone who might come to hear the good news, and praying that God would speak through me.

Have a blessed Holy Week, friends.

4 comments:

Randy Roda said...

The pressure of the Easter message is real. It is a great challenge to re-proclaim what everyone has heard before in away that is creative, challenging and graceful. As a former associate pastor, I know how hard it is to not preach on Easter. Since I am not serving a church, I feel like I am missing something by not preaching on Easter. I will pray for your message and for the stress that every pastor feels during holy week. You will kick butt...

Brett Probert said...

You will kick butt indeed...

First of all, read Job 32:17-20...your spirit reminds me of that of Elihu.

Second of all, you're prayed for dude.

Keith H. McIlwain said...

Exciting opportunities! Thank God for Holy Week and (especially) Easter!

I also remember being able to preach after serving as an associate pastor, and the feeling of liberation and responsibility. I think more seniors need to find ways to give their associates creative outlets at this time of year.

I have no doubt that you'll do well. God will be blessing others through you this week!

Anonymous said...

Well said.