Thursday, March 22, 2007

When Uninstall won't work


Friends, I have to admit to you that I have been rather dazed and confused this entire week. That is until now.

I have an old PDA. It is a Handspring Visor. I've had it four about 7 years now and I love it. It is rugged, dependable, and usually reliable. I use it a lot! It is my lifeline to being the anal retentive, calendar driven individual that I am.

On Monday, I tried to Hotsync my PDA with my computer, and when I did - it shut the computer down completely. This is not the first time this has happened to me in my years of using a PDA, but usually it happens once, and then I can move forward. Not on Monday.

After several hours of attempting this sync, I resorted to trying to reinstall the software. When that didn't work, I went online for some suggestions about compatibility problems with the recent time patches for Outlook, etc.

I then went to the Palm Site (Handspring was purchased by Palm years ago). I got some advice. Found some FAQ's about the problem that I was experiencing. They told me to uninstall and reinstall the Palm Desktop software using the Uninstall program on the computer.

I did - nothing. At this point, I was at a full blow!!! My children were asking my wife what was wrong, and all she could say was, "just stay away from Daddy!"

I walked away, tried to eat dinner, and tried a hard and soft reset. Nothing!!!!!!

I then proceeded to write tech support to ask for some help. The response was to uninstall.

But did you know that is not enough? It turns out that you need to search for hidden files! How frustrating is that!

Long story short - I also told myself that I was going to wait until today to try to do anything. It is my day off, and what would be a day off without a little frustration, right?

I followed the directions, which were four pages long by the way, and IT WORKS!!!!!

Is there a connection to the church? Sure there is! I think that sometimes as Christians we do our darnedest to remove sin from our lives. We focus on that during lent. We repent, we reaffirm our faith, we try to move onto Perfection, and still there are the hidden things in our lives that prevent us from being who God has called us to be.

Because of that - we have to dig deeper and deeper, pray harder and harder, and continuously seek God's grace in all that we do.

The Gospel of Matthew says, "Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly father is perfect."

I seek that!
But now I have to repent for all the bowling words I used this week.

3 comments:

Randy Roda said...

I wish I could un-install lots of things in my life. I have tried "delete," "re-installs" and even new "hard drives." Since then,I have learned that there is a button on my computer called "refresh." It reminds me that I must go back to God for every glitch I experience. I'll have to remember to try and un-install the bad habits and mistakes that plague my life.

Keith H. McIlwain said...

Good post; I can really relate, in more ways than one!

Brett Probert said...

GREAT story!!! Do your daughters bowl? Maybe they're a little more qualified now. Hey, make sure you do some make up time off to compensate man!