Over the past few weeks, I have been thinking a lot about my use of technology and our dependence upon it. I am a bit torn personally, because on the one hand technology has power to connect and share positive messaging; we have the opportunity to share content is ways that we've never been able to do.
However, I think there is another side of technology with which I struggle. I struggle with the idea that while we may be more connected now than at any other time, we are also more disconnected.
So, I am going on a personal journey and would like to invite you to come along. I am calling this month "Connectober." I am disconnecting from social media and technology and plan to move into greater connection personally. It may be in person, it may be through phone conversations, and it even may be in personal notes and through prayer.
If you'd like to join me - I encourage you to do several things.
1. Connect with God through scripture and prayer daily.
2. Connect with one family member (outside your home) each day.
3. Connect with one neighbor each week, either through an act of giving, or a gift, or an old fashioned cake delivery.
4. Connect with a stranger once this month with a significant random act of kindness.
5. Connect with a new person each Sunday that you do not know well.
6. Connect with a pastor each week
7. Connect with a lay person each week.
Call it a fast, call it a spiritual journey, but I want to connect in a stronger way with the original social media - personally. Yes, the Facebook and Twitter are coming off the cell phone and the notifications have been turned off. If you'd like to connect with me, I'd love to hear from you!
Won't you join me in making a closer connection with each other?