Saturday, September 26, 2009

Going To Great Lenghts

Today I went with some friends and the girls to go see something spectacular. We drove over 300 miles just to see some Elk. It was raining out, and a perfect day to take a drive. We drove even though there was no guarantee that we would see or even hear them.

When we got to the lookout, off in the distance was a spectacular bull and several cow elk. We spent some time just watching in amazement. After some time, we left that lookout to venture to another. While we didn't see any at the other vantage point, it was good just to see the range and habitat of the elk.

Because the other location offered the best vantage point from which to see the elk, we returned, and was I glad that we did. Faintly in the distance, I could hear a most spectacular sound - the sound of a bull elk calling (bugle). As we told the kids to stop and listen, we watched and waited as the elk moved and spoke in the distance.

I imagine that some would think it odd to drive that far with only the possibility of seeing. But I wonder how many would even try to stop and listen.

Are we the same about our faith? Are we unwilling to travel to great lengths to just get the glimpse of our Lord and listen for the voice of God? I'm glad that I did - and I'm glad that the girls were there to hear.

"For he is our God, and we are the people of his pasture, and the sheep of his hand. O that today you would listen to his voice!" Psalm 95:7

2 comments:

Brett Probert said...

Excellent, and good to have you back in blogland.

Brett Probert said...

OK...retraction. What I meant to say was excellent. You can scratch that part about you and blogland.