Monday, August 10, 2009

Thoughts on a "Flabby Mind"

Last week, I was privileged attend a video cast of the Willow Creek Leadership Summit at the Orchard Hill Church in Wexford. I enjoy the Summit’s format because it changes the delivery of the message throughout. Sometimes there are conversations, other times interviews, and other times classic lecture styled delivery.

On Friday, Bill Hybels was interviewing David Gergen. Gergen is a political analyst for CNN and PBS, as well as a noted leader and advisor to four of our past Presidents. He is currently the Professor of Public Service at Harvard’s John F. Kennedy School of Government and carries with him a lifetime of practical leadership thoughts.

Maybe it was my political science background or it could have been the interview forum, but I really enjoyed this conversation. They talked a lot about practical leadership skills and principles, leadership styles, and even dabbled in communication. They also talked about being a “reflective practitioner” or being the kind of leader who doesn’t simply lead, but also takes time to reflect, learn, and grow.

Being a “reflective practitioner” is why I think I enjoy the Summit so much. It causes me to reflect on myself and my leadership sometimes more than other things can. This year’s Summit came at a time when I needed to do a little self reflecting as well as some continuing education.

As Hybels and Gergen continued their conversation that morning, they began to talk about personal habits. Responding to whether or not leaders need to be up at 5 a.m and in the office before anyone else, Gergen noted that the type of habit or routine was not as important as the self-discipline that goes along with one’s daily routines. He used the example of Churchill taking a nap in the middle of the afternoon. The nap wasn’t a liability, but part of the routine for Churchill.

Gergen made it clear that personal habits and self-discipline are very important in leadership. One’s health was also part of that self-discipline. Being physically fit and healthy allows us to endure the hard tests when they come.

Gergen continued by saying, “Those who let their bodies go flabby will often let their minds go flabby.” Realizing that this is not an absolute statement and a generalization – it resonated with ME.

It resonated with me because as I reflect on my past, the times that I am less healthy, or gaining weight, or struggling physically, I am most often also struggling mentally, spiritually, and intellectually. When I am at my best and sometimes at my worst, there is a direct relationship, a correlation between the mind the body and the spirit of my soul. Three years ago, I was at my greatest weight, and possibly at one of my lowest points intellectually. I was feeding my stomach, and starving my mind.

There have also been times when I am pouring out every fiber of myself in leading. I may be sharp, but the physical side begins to take its toll.

But the other part of reflecting is the realization that I am not always at my sharpest, even if I am healthy physically. I must be aware of my overall health and self-discipline on a regular basis making sure that my habits are all in check. I can’t neglect any one part of it, or I won’t be ready for the hard tests. I have to be whole in Mind, body, and Spirit.

Just because I am reading, doesn’t mean that I can have that entire sleeve of Oreo’s.

“So, let us also lay aside every weight and the sin that clings so closely, and let us run with perseverance.”

3 comments:

Barb said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brett Probert said...

Well done my friend.

Barb said...

Well said Grasshopper!