Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Breaking News!

If I were to begin to tell you how I arrived at my thoughts today, it would take longer than time permits. So if you will indulge just a little, I will tell you that I have been thinking a lot about how the media covers certain events. It has struck me as fascinating recently how information is shared, what information is shared, and how it is that media can sometimes have an influence on what we think, how we feel, how we vote. Anyone can be an expert in something, everyone has an opinion, and everyone is trying to get a cut of the attention.

I guess in many ways that is no different than these random thoughts being scattered across cyberspace today.

That, combined with my thoughts about Holy Week and my preparations for it has me thinking a lot about how Jesus is portrayed in the media. I can almost count on one of the news magazines doing a cover on Christ either this week or next. I have several from years past. Headlines like, “The Real Jesus,” or simply “Jesus Christ,” cause us to reflect on the life and career of Jesus. Sometimes in those magazines, very little is shared about the “message of Jesus.”

So with that said, I really have been thinking about how Jesus would be portrayed today. If Jesus was 33 again, walking the earth, sharing the message of repentance and salvation, I just wonder how it would be portrayed in the media. Would it be a rolling script at the bottom of the screen? An interview? Some expert offering their interpretation of the message or a psychological analysis? Would there be predictions about the time it would take to offer a resignation, or conversation with an “insider whose identity has been concealed” to protect his/her family?

I say all of this because Jesus had a hard enough time without the media. I almost caught myself thinking, “the media would crucify him!” Ok, I did think it and then I wrote it! It didn’t take much for the message to get around. Certain events had a life of their own and were catalysts to his ultimate demise and death.

But would it have taken him that long to end up on a cross, or would we have brushed him off much sooner because an exit poll said that he was behind in the polls?

If there is one thing that I am thinking about these days, it is the media. There will be a lot of opportunity to hear what the media says, but I invite you to read what the original source said about the life and the times of Jesus. As you enter into Holy Week in just a few days, crack open the source and see what it says. I know that when you do, you will see that the original will add much to your days and weeks that lead up to Easter.

To be sure – those who were distracted by Jesus message found him to be a trouble maker. But it is through that message and his death on the cross that we live.

This week is Palm Sunday and we will be gathering to hear the message that invites us to Follow Christ to the Cross. Come and get your palm and try to twist it into a cross. If you can’t do it, I bet you someone will. I look forward to beginning Holy Week with you in Worship.

Please pray for me, and know that I am praying for you.
Greg

7 comments:

Brett Probert said...

Good schtuff!

Unknown said...

Hannity and Colmes would eat this one up! Jesus...on Larry King. Tonight 9 p.m. Isn't the media wonderful?

Have a blessed Holy Week brother!

Jeff Vanderhoff said...

What an interesting thought! Thanks for sharing this Greg, it gets me thinking outside the box in how to present Jesus in a new way. Imagine (maybe you already have) that Jesus is on trial right now. We'd have the picketers protesting the death penalty (some on the grounds of Jesus' innocence and such a travesty of justice, others who wouldn't care one way or another about Him, but who would protest the issue on general principle), we'd have the different news stations outside the temple, interviewing people who know Jesus, getting the perspective of priests and leaders, as well as average joe on the street. You could really go somewhere with this line of thinking, and challenge people to consider what group they would represent today if this were all happening now. Thanks for posting!

Chris said...

Although Brett forbids it, I will be thinking and praying for you this week.

Brett Probert said...

Greg...for obvious reasons, I will praying for you this week. I will try to think Chris out of existence. I'll let you know how that works out.

Chris said...

For some reason, I feel the need to go out and buy a smartphone...

Brett Probert said...

Hallo...you're blog ees very much I like. You can proud fore hard. My hopeing you buy see me site blog her: www.brettprobert.blogspot.com.