Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Transformed Living

Several weeks ago, I walked into the hospital to visit a parishioner. I walked to the front desk to get a room number. I verified that the patient was in the same room, and I proceeded to walk around the corner toward the back hallway.

Before I could take two steps, the volunteer behind the reception desk stopped me and said, “You can’t go that way, the hallway is now closed.”

My reaction, both mental and verbal was, “Gee – when are they going to be done renovating these hallways.” I didn’t get a response.

I was sharing with some of my colleagues who also frequent that hospital about the renovation. We were all surprised that there was yet another “detour” through the hospital. We all shared our consternation over the fact that it seems that the hospital has been in a constant state of renovation for several years.

Just as I was getting used to the new detour, I was reminded of that conversation. I arrived at the hospital to find that this renovation project was shorter than the others, and was now complete. I wondered whether there would be something else under construction soon and where I would be sent next. As I walked down the hall, things did look different and cleaner. I could tell some work had been done. I may not know the purpose, but things were different.

As I was walking down that newly renovated hallway, I also began to think about my reaction differently. I was coming to understand that not only was this new transformation a good thing, but it was also necessary, regardless of how much it aggravated me in the beginning. If there was not a renovation or transformation, the hospital would be the same as it was when it first opened. Moreover, it would probably begin to fail, deteriorate, and move to a point that it was unable to fulfill the purposes of being a hospital in the 21st Century.

That idea serves as a great illustration for our lives as Christians, I think. We must continue to be transformed if we are to continue to be called as disciples of Jesus Christ. We can not, and should not be the same people that we were last year, or several years ago. We should be under a constant state of renovation, as we allow God to work on our lives to make us who God is calling us to be. No matter the detour or the cost, in the end we are different, hopefully better.

Paul’s words come to mind when I think of that renovation project. He tells the people of Rome, “Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you can know the will of God, so that you will know what is good acceptable and perfect.” That word transformed is important here and it is important for all of us.

In the coming weeks, we are going to be embarking on a church wide study called Transformed Living. Throughout the study, the congregation will be reading a book together entitled “Treasures of a Transformed Life,” studying in small groups, and hearing sermons that tie this all together. The team that has been working on this study is excited about seeing the transformation that happens.
I encourage you to look for opportunities to be transformed in the coming weeks and see how God can work within each of us toward transformation. By the way, it’s only a 40 day detour.

“God of transformation, we open ourselves to you this day and everyday. We open our hearts to your spirit for healing and wholeness, knowing that you are the God of everything in our lives. Help us to seek your will in all that we do, and be gracious in your leading. We pray these things through Christ who saves us. Amen.”

6 comments:

Keith H. McIlwain said...

Love the connections you make; you're closer to perfection than I am! Thanks for the good post.

Randy Roda said...

Good Post. We all have a tendency to somehow see ourselves as finished products when we first accepted Christ. But we are always works in progress.

Thanx for the reminder

Corben said...

Great illustration! and you did not have post a longer and more reflective thought just because of my teasing you for short posts :-)

Have fun and remember if at first you think you succeed try and try again.

Greg Cox said...

Longer post went up before we talked last night - so no. Most of the time they are too long anyway.

Brett Probert said...

Good stuff. And don't let Keith's comment swell your head...everyone is closer to perfection than he is. He just thinks he's closer.

Keith H. McIlwain said...

Au contraire! I am far, far, FAR from that esteemed goal!