Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Staying Connected

Several months ago, I lost the antenna on my cell phone. Honestly, I don't know how it happened. I do know that it was unscrewed, but how it became loose and when I lost it confounds me. I never realized it until that moment that my cell phone is USELESS without it. Absolutely no signal! I ordered a new antenna from the internet after realizing that my phone is no longer made by the company and my cell phone carrier does not carry replacement parts. it came very quickly, and my cell phone signal was restored.

Without that antenna, I couldn't receive or make phone calls. Immediately upon replacing the antenna - my cell phone was back to normal. The signal was true.

About two weeks ago, my antenna broke off and I do not know where it went. This one is a little harder to explain. I noticed before all this happened, that the little rubber nobbie thingie on the antenna was loose. The actual metal part of the antenna was not - it was securely screwed into the phone. Every so often, the little rubber nobbie thingie would come off - and I would simply screw it back on.

However, just before annual conference, I noticed that the little rubber nobbie thingie was GONE!!!! Oh, I was upset! Not in my pocket, not on the floor, not on my dresser, but Gone! Guess what? Turns out that the little rubber nobbie thingie is almost as important as the actual metal part of the antenna. Without it, my signal is weak. It also turns out that Cingular no longer has the fewest dropped calls. I'm going to suggest a new slogan - "Cingular, raising the bar - but make sure you don't lose your antenna!"

Have you ever lost your signal? Now I'm thinking theologically. Sometimes I think we're not as connected to God because we lose our connection and we lose the thing that makes it possible for us to be connected to God. For each of us that may be different things, we forget to pray, we forget to be involved, and sometimes we are not listening to God's Word as God speaks to us in scripture.

One of my favorite scriptures is from Psalm 1.

That scripture reminds me that we need to continually be connected, or planted by the streams of living water that God has provided for us. Without it, we are missing something and we may even be like the chaff that the wind drives away.

I pray that you continue to be connected. Don't lose touch; don't lose that connection that you have with the church and with God during the summer. Without that connection, we are missing so much.

God needs to be in touch with you, and I am sure that you need to be in touch with God.

13 comments:

Barb said...

What if I told you I have a "little rubber nobbie thingie", and would entertain the ability to trade with you....

I hope that I am able to stay connected this summer, with the new minister coming, vacation schedules, and all the things that lure me away. Thank you for reminding me that God wants me back...always!

Randy Roda said...

Great post...thank you for the reminder not to get distracted. I needed to hear that!

Brett Probert said...

Greg...you have to get in touch with your little rubber nobby thing. Trust me, you won't regret it.

Thanks for staying connected and helping me to as well. You are a blessing...at least that is what I say on a public forum that the Bishop reads.

Greg Cox said...

Dare I ask what you'd say if he didn't read it?

Chris said...

Grag, I appreciate the post. It is sooooo easy to lose our spiritual antenna...to lose our sense of call. The Psalms are great for incresing our reception!

BTW, I dig your technical talk.

Greg Cox said...

If anyone knows the technical name for the little rubber nobbie thingie, I may consider editing. But until then, the little rubber nobbie thingie on top of my antenna shall be duly named. Pray that my new antenna comes in the mail soon.

Anonymous said...

OK - you make fun of me for naming the big rock poundie thingy, oh the irony! Elephant shoes the most and thank you for keeping me connected to family and God this past week.

Keith H. McIlwain said...

Good reminder; thanks.

Eric Park said...

Your post inspires a limerick. I pray that it adds to your theological reflection.

Greg's missing his small rubber thingie.
Without it his phone won't go ringie.
We can't hear him speak
'Cause his signal is weak
Now it's back to two cups and a stringy

Greg Cox said...

I know everyone was waiting with baited breath. My new antenna, complete with a new little rubber nobbie thingie, just arrived in the mail. Good timing too! My cups and string were drying when i attempted my first communica - the string broke!

I am now connected. I just wish I was better connected at AC. I missed many opportunities to text people like Eric when he was singing. We could have watched him flinch on the big screen when his phone buzzed.

Brett Probert said...

Eric...you're sick, and I love it!

Anonymous said...

Greg, wow prayers are answered. I can now take that off my major prayer list and maybe write an entry in my blog. Have a great weekend.

Charlotte said...

Glad the connection is restored. And yes, Eric, you are a sick pup! Gotta love ya! This is a great metaphor and has me thinking about my own disconnectedness. Thanks for the insight.